Ask Your Question

Revision history [back]

click to hide/show revision 1
initial version

Unfortunately, without looking at the entire DB, it would be difficult to determine exactly what may be causing the problem. Number of records in DB, content of records (type of data), being an embedded DB and more all can play a role in what may be causing the problem.

It is unusual for just one specific table to be affected, let alone the entire table disappearing. Usually when an embedded DB has a problem, multiple tables may be affected and it is difficult at best to recover.

Aside from some of my own self inflicted problems, I've not personally seen this. However, I also tend to stay away from embedded DB's using either split of external storage.

Unfortunately, without looking at the entire DB, it would be difficult to determine exactly what may be causing the problem. Number of records in DB, content of records (type of data), being an embedded DB and more all can play a role in what may be causing the problem.

It is unusual for just one specific table to be affected, let alone the entire table disappearing. Usually when an embedded DB has a problem, multiple tables may be affected and it is difficult at best to recover.

Aside from some of my own self inflicted problems, I've not personally seen this. However, I also tend to stay away from embedded DB's using either split of external storage.

Edit:

Posting here because need more room.

As stated in comment, no immediate problems. About 30 min. into a later session things got a little jerky - screen, response. Have indicators on my screens showing CPU core usage & they were abnormal. Now this has happened before to me with other Base files. Turns out, & don't know why, Base was being backed up about once per second. Closed the Base file. Checked Options & nothing set for backup. Had about 2000+ backups of the DB in User Profile backups. Cleared these out. Restarted odb & no further backups created. Have had this occur with different odb files & different versions. Will figure it out one day & report it. You may want to check your profile for strange backups stored there.

About 15 min later (many opens & closes of odb) I could not edit or access 'NewMembers' form. This is getting to your actual problem. Turns out one of the files for the form was corrupt. In finding this I noticed something strange.

Before actually proceeding, some info if you don't know. The Base .odb (this applies to other modules) is really many files zipped into a package. When opened by LO it is unzipped internally for use & rezipped when closed. This process can cause data loss in Base packages especially with large amounts of data or large objects (like embedded pictures) in records.

Now what I found was more forms in the odb than what was actually present:

image description

four of which contained nothing and a fifth which was actually damaged. Deleting these five (Obj31,Obj33,Obj51,Obj52,Obj54) I saw no further problems over the next couple of hours. Going back to your original post in June, it had some similar entries. Checking many of my existing embedded, split & external odb files none contained any entries of this type - empty or extra with errors. Can't for sure say this is your problem, and don't know how it got that way, but I know it shouldn't be. You can (regardless of specifying you being a novice in June post) delete those folders. Your capabilities have been displayed throughout. Use either an archive manager or unzip, delete the folders I mentioned (the five Obj) and go from there. Make sure (as you seem to be aware) to do this with a copy of the odb.

BTW, saw your comment as I was typing. Don't concern yourself with the User Profile. It won't affect what you do. Exactly what it is referring to I'll look at & try to get you more of an answer.