Ask Your Question

Revision history [back]

A late answer, but I hope this helps you or others. I've discovered that turning off Track Changes made it work properly for me. Otherwise there's a very buggy interaction between the change-tracking process and the replacement mechanism.

If tracking is on, Find & Replace was only matches the first occurrence when I hit "Replace All", and the replacement is done twice in one of several glitchy ways:

E.g., let's say I search on the text "Bold text #1 asdfghjkl Bold text #2 qwertyuiop Bold text #3", with the following Find & Replace dialog settings:

Search For

.*

bold

Replace with

[b]$0[/b]

Other Options

☑ Regular Expressions

If "Edit>Track Changes>Record Changes" and "Edit>Track Changes>Record Changes" are both enabled, and I hit "Replace All", "Bold phrase #1" becomes "[b]Bold phrase #1[b]Bold phrase #1[/b][/b]".

If "Edit>Track Changes>Record Changes" is enabled and "Edit>Track Changes>Record Changes" is not enabled, "Bold phrase #1" becomes "[b][b]Bold phrase #1[/b][/b]".

(In this example, the replacement matches the original regex. If the replacement itself doesn't match the original regex, the replacement just gets repeated, not nested-- eg. "Replace all" for A->B results in "A" becoming "BB".)

If tracking changes was disabled entirely, the the Replace All works properly, making "[b]Bold text #1[/b] asdfghjkl [b]Bold text #2[/b] qwertyuiop [b]Bold text #3[/b]"

This is in version 5.1.4.2 .

A late answer, but I hope this helps you or others. I've discovered that turning off Track Changes made it work properly for me. Otherwise there's a very buggy interaction between the change-tracking process and the replacement mechanism.

If tracking is on, Find & Replace was only matches the first occurrence when I hit "Replace All", and the replacement is done twice in one of several glitchy ways:

E.g., let's say I search on the text "Bold text #1 asdfghjkl Bold text #2 qwertyuiop Bold text #3", with the following Find & Replace dialog settings:

Search For

.*

bold

Replace with

[b]$0[/b]

Other Options

☑ Regular Expressions

If "Edit>Track Changes>Record Changes" and "Edit>Track Changes>Record Changes>Show Changes" are both enabled, and I hit "Replace All", "Bold phrase #1" "Bold phrase #1" becomes "[b]Bold "[b]Bold phrase #1[b]Bold phrase #1[/b][/b]".#1[/b][/b]".

If "Edit>Track Changes>Record Changes" is enabled and "Edit>Track Changes>Record Changes>Show Changes" is not enabled, "Bold phrase #1" "Bold phrase #1" becomes "[b][b]Bold phrase #1[/b][/b]"."[b][b]Bold phrase #1[/b][/b]".

(In this example, the replacement matches the original regex. If the replacement itself doesn't match the original regex, the replacement just gets repeated, not nested-- eg. "Replace all" for A->B results in "A" becoming "BB".)

If tracking changes was change-tracking options are disabled entirely, the the Replace All works properly, making "[b]Bold text #1[/b] asdfghjkl [b]Bold text #2[/b] qwertyuiop [b]Bold text #3[/b]"

This is in version 5.1.4.2 .

A late answer, but I hope this helps you or others. I've discovered that turning off Track Changes made it work properly for me. Otherwise there's a very buggy interaction between the change-tracking process and the replacement mechanism.

If tracking is on, Find & Replace was only matches the first occurrence when I hit "Replace All", and the replacement is done twice in one of several glitchy ways:

E.g., let's say I search on the text "Bold text #1 asdfghjkl Bold text #2 qwertyuiop Bold text #3", with the following Find & Replace dialog settings:

Search For

.*

bold

Replace with

[b]$0[/b]

Other Options

☑ Regular Expressions

If "Edit>Track Changes>Record Changes" and "Edit>Track Changes>Show Changes" are both enabled, and I hit "Replace All", "Bold phrase #1" becomes "[b]Bold phrase #1[b]Bold phrase #1[/b][/b]".

If "Edit>Track Changes>Record Changes" is enabled and "Edit>Track Changes>Show Changes" is not enabled, "Bold phrase #1" becomes "[b][b]Bold phrase #1[/b][/b]".

(In this example, the replacement matches the original regex. If the replacement itself doesn't match the original regex, the replacement just gets repeated, not nested-- eg. "Replace all" for A->B results in "A" becoming "BB".)

If change-tracking options are disabled entirely, the the Replace All works properly, making "[b]Bold text #1[/b] asdfghjkl [b]Bold text #2[/b] qwertyuiop [b]Bold text #3[/b]"

This is in version 5.1.4.2 .

A late answer, but I hope this helps you or others. I've discovered that turning off Track Changes made it work properly for me. Otherwise there's a very buggy interaction between the change-tracking process and the replacement mechanism.

If tracking is on, Find & Replace was only matches the first occurrence when I hit "Replace All", and the replacement is done twice in one of several glitchy ways:

E.g., let's say I search on the text "Bold text #1 asdfghjkl Bold text #2 qwertyuiop Bold text #3", with the following Find & Replace dialog settings:

Search For

.*

bold

Replace with

[b]$0[/b]

Other Options

☑ Regular Expressions

☑ Including Styles

If "Edit>Track Changes>Record Changes" and "Edit>Track Changes>Show Changes" are both enabled, and I hit "Replace All", "Bold phrase #1" becomes "[b]Bold phrase #1[b]Bold phrase #1[/b][/b]".

If "Edit>Track Changes>Record Changes" is enabled and "Edit>Track Changes>Show Changes" is not enabled, "Bold phrase #1" becomes "[b][b]Bold phrase #1[/b][/b]".

(In this example, the replacement matches the original regex. If the replacement itself doesn't match the original regex, the replacement just gets repeated, not nested-- eg. "Replace all" for A->B results in "A" becoming "BB".)

If change-tracking options are disabled entirely, the Replace All works properly, making "[b]Bold text #1[/b] asdfghjkl [b]Bold text #2[/b] qwertyuiop [b]Bold text #3[/b]"

This is in version 5.1.4.2 .