Ask Your Question

Shift + ? = accent capital E?! [closed]

asked 2013-07-03 17:05:35 +0100

knottedknickers gravatar image

updated 2020-07-23 20:36:58 +0100

Alex Kemp gravatar image

I’m not sure how I do it, but from time to time pressing Shift + ? doesn’t give me ? but an accented capital E. My wife showed me how to turn it off with Shift + Ctrl + Shift (i.e., press all three keys at once [yes, both Shift keys]), but I’d like to know how I manage to turn this on in the first place. Any clues?

edit retag flag offensive reopen merge delete

Closed for the following reason the question is answered, right answer was accepted by Alex Kemp
close date 2015-11-03 05:36:28.101988

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2013-07-04 05:32:13 +0100

oweng gravatar image

updated 2013-07-04 05:37:08 +0100

It sounds like you might be using Windows, is that correct? Under Windows (XP?), CTRL+SHIFT can be set to switch keyboard layouts, so it it is possible you have an alternate keyboard layout where SHIFT+/ is mapped to É. Instructions for disabling this keyboard switching shortcut can be found here.

edit flag offensive delete link more


Sorry for the lack of info... I'm using Windows 7. Ctrl+Shift was the solution. See: É? I can do it at will now. ;-) Thanks so much!

knottedknickers gravatar imageknottedknickers ( 2013-07-04 16:18:16 +0100 )edit

Question Tools


Asked: 2013-07-03 17:05:35 +0100

Seen: 25,506 times

Last updated: Jul 04 '13