Ask Your Question
0

LO keeps changing text to lowercase

asked 2019-08-05 13:48:30 +0100

TJA gravatar image

updated 2019-08-05 16:33:58 +0100

Hello,

I've encountered an issue where I have a .docx document prepared with a title field, the field is filled in with uppercase letters. If I open the file in MS Word - all is good - uppercase letters, but if I open the same document in LO 6.2.5.2, the title has it's first 2 out of 6 words capitalized and the rest are all lowercase letters.

I've tried disabling everything in TOOLS > AutoCorrect > AutoCorrect Options, seems like it's not the issue.

If I mark my field, right click and go to Paragraph > Edit Style, I see that the style is set as default, in the same window I open the Font Effects tab and nothing is active there, no check marks, all drop-downs say "(Without)"

Are there more settings that I could check to stop LO from changing letter capitalization?

As requested, I'm attaching an example document .odt and .docx work the same. I've removed all the unnecessary text and left only a couple of fields, the field with "DĖL NEĮGALIŲJŲ APRŪPINIMO TVARKOS APRAŠO TOBULINIMO" is the one I'm having issues with.

C:\fakepath\document.odt

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

Comments

What is the paragraph style of your title? Have you checked its Font Effects tab to see if Lowercase option is selected?

Note: answer either editing your question or in a new comment ("Answers are reserved for solution, not for discussion).

ajlittoz gravatar imageajlittoz ( 2019-08-05 14:14:19 +0100 )edit

Thank You for the suggestion!

If I mark my field, right click and go to Paragraph > Edit Style, I see that the style is set as default, in the same window I open the Font Effects tab and nothing is active there, no check marks, all drop-downs say (Without)

TJA gravatar imageTJA ( 2019-08-05 14:38:13 +0100 )edit

Is your .docx document imported from M$ Word or directly created in LO Writer? Does the problem persist if you save .odt?

If you're out of ideas, attach the file (or portion of it if confidential) to your question (impossible in comment).

ajlittoz gravatar imageajlittoz ( 2019-08-05 16:05:36 +0100 )edit

Looks really strange that LO is converting a user-defined string <text:user-defined text:name="DLX:Title">DĖL NEĮGALIŲJŲ APRŪPINIMO TVARKOS APRAŠO TOBULINIMO</text:user-defined>. After having opened the document and checking, the DLX:Title (see File -> Properties -> Custom Properties -> Name: DLX:Title) is already converted. If you change that afterwards to uppercase ( using .odt) and re-open the file, everything is as exepected. For me it looks like one of the incomprehensive side-effects of .docx -> .odt conversions.

Opaque gravatar imageOpaque ( 2019-08-05 17:04:04 +0100 )edit

The attached document indeed has the text in content.xml in all uppercase; but that's just a cached value, and the field actually takes its value from user-defined document properties (FilePropertiesCustom Properties). So LibreOffice simply re-reads that value, which makes perfect sense, especially given that the document was generated by another application; and - guess what - the value of the custom property is indeed mixed-case, just as LibreOffice shows it.

The bottom line is: LibreOffice shows that ODT file correctly; it's how Word exports it. But I had an impression that LibreOffice opens the DOCX incorrectly - and that needs that DOCX to understand if it needs to be changed/fixed.

By the way, Word also turns the text into mixed-case if the field is updated (using context menu).

Mike Kaganski gravatar imageMike Kaganski ( 2019-08-05 17:50:09 +0100 )edit

@Mike Kaganski - I'm too ignorant to uderstand your comment. I wasn't able to find in any of the xml files within the .odt provided by OP a text string as it appears in File -> Properties -> Custom Properties -> Name: DLX:Title. So my conclusion was: There is a conversion on opening the file. I do not understand the cached value argument.

Opaque gravatar imageOpaque ( 2019-08-05 18:12:21 +0100 )edit

@Opaque: please look into meta.xml

Mike Kaganski gravatar imageMike Kaganski ( 2019-08-05 18:15:08 +0100 )edit

@Mike Kaganski - ... too blind to, sorry

Opaque gravatar imageOpaque ( 2019-08-05 18:17:41 +0100 )edit

Thank You all for the help, without it I wouldn't have been able to pin-point the problem. I will add an answer how I managed to actually reach what I want.

TJA gravatar imageTJA ( 2019-08-06 08:57:51 +0100 )edit

There are two options to make it all capitals actually:

  1. Edit the custom property to be all caps;
  2. (I'd say, this one is preferred) apply a character style to the field, with the font effects set to capitals.
Mike Kaganski gravatar imageMike Kaganski ( 2019-08-06 09:05:25 +0100 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
0

answered 2019-08-06 09:09:36 +0100

TJA gravatar image

updated 2019-08-06 09:12:45 +0100

As suggested by Opaque and Mike, the problem was with LibreOffice updating the field value when the document is opened, but the reason for the lowercase was actually that the field had no uppercase format setting when the .docx was saved.

What I did was 1. Opened the .docx in MS Word 2. Right-click on the field 4. CLick "Toggle field codes" 5. Added the "\* Upper" switch into the field code, as suggested in this post 6. Save the document

Now field update will keep caps on.

Thanks for the help, You absolute legends!

edit flag offensive delete link more

Comments

I dunno how to make the list work, hope it's not too much of a problem.

TJA gravatar imageTJA ( 2019-08-06 09:11:34 +0100 )edit
Login/Signup to Answer

Question Tools

1 follower

Stats

Asked: 2019-08-05 13:48:30 +0100

Seen: 69 times

Last updated: Aug 06