Export to epub

asked 2020-10-28 16:36:37 +0200

Daniel Volinski gravatar image

Hi All,

When translating Writer to epub I see the result does not contain formulas and figures.

Is there any plan to fix this?



edit retag flag offensive close merge delete


Does the extension Writer2xhtml help with this? I see that MathML is supported in EPUB 3.0 but not supported in some readers so might not help.

Earnest Al gravatar imageEarnest Al ( 2020-11-01 02:05:23 +0200 )edit

This fixed a lot for me. Adding this (and the Java support if necessary) adds an EPUB export button to the menu bar. This makes the EPUB using Writer2xhtml. Use this. The old Export as PDF menu entry is unchanged, and renders without Writer2xhtml.

Richard Kirk gravatar imageRichard Kirk ( 2020-11-01 19:29:46 +0200 )edit

Hi All,

Thank you for the information.

I installed the extension Writer2xhtml but the result is less that satisfactory. The formulas are all garbled up, both inline and numerated. The pictures don't contain any picture, only text. This is not working for me.


Daniel Volinski gravatar imageDaniel Volinski ( 2020-11-02 10:06:40 +0200 )edit

I found the Use MathJax option for the html part so now the equations are OK in html. I did not find such option in epub so they are still garbled up in epub. With respect to the pictures, is there any option to make them OK? Thanks.


Daniel Volinski gravatar imageDaniel Volinski ( 2020-11-02 10:54:29 +0200 )edit

Yes. The Writer2xhtml version is better than what went before but is clearly work in progress. There is a known bug with disappearing bullets. There is another problem with diagrams as groups of objects. In general, scientific and technical papers seem to avoid .epub. In which case, maybe we are both using the wrong tool for the job.

Richard Kirk gravatar imageRichard Kirk ( 2020-11-02 11:03:17 +0200 )edit

Formulas are looking better for me in 7.0.3 with writertoxhtml, and the overbar problem in a table has gone. Bullets seems to work. If your document is an old one, I can also recommend deleting your User Preferences folder (it all comes back). Opening a new document, and copying the entire contents of my old one to it also helped. Some of the improvements I saw may be due to this and not the version change. Bug 114162 lists the stuff to do, and there is quite a bit of it.

Richard Kirk gravatar imageRichard Kirk ( 2020-11-08 11:04:46 +0200 )edit

Better than delete is to rename the User to , e.g. User[YYYYMMDD] so you can copy Templates, Autocorrect, Autotext and Wordbook folders back to the new User folder that LO will build when it can't find the old one.

Earnest Al gravatar imageEarnest Al ( 2020-11-08 21:27:01 +0200 )edit