Ask Your Question

How to search for hard returns? (Paragraph marks) [closed]

asked 2014-05-07 20:25:56 +0100

Annie gravatar image

I am trying to do a find and replace of hard returns (ENTER only), but it seems like the only type of paragraph ending one can search for is a soft return (SHIFT-ENTER).

Is there a special character sign for hard returns, similar to the \t for tabs?


edit retag flag offensive reopen merge delete

Closed for the following reason the question is answered, right answer was accepted by Alex Kemp
close date 2016-02-22 10:58:50.796441

3 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2014-05-07 21:24:38 +0100

David gravatar image

updated 2014-05-07 21:40:49 +0100

When you do CTRL + H then you'll need to enable "regular expressions" (revealed from the "Other options" drop-down), then $ in the search box will find you the hard returns. (It seems to require some text/character(s) following - the last hard-return in the file isn't found -- I think!)

There is some more about this in an earlier Q&A, and also this helpful documentation:

Hope that helps.

edit flag offensive delete link more


Nothing I looked at indicates that there is a way to do this. Sigh. Thanks so much, tho!

Annie gravatar imageAnnie ( 2014-05-08 04:24:25 +0100 )edit

answered 2014-05-08 15:20:43 +0100

Edward gravatar image

I've been using the Alternative Dialog Find & Replace extension ( ) for just such a task. The extension allows you to search for hard carriage returns (\p in the extension's search field).

edit flag offensive delete link more

Question Tools



Asked: 2014-05-07 20:25:56 +0100

Seen: 1,366 times

Last updated: May 08 '14