Base 6.1.3 Crashes

asked 2018-11-11 22:17:30 +0100

Casastr gravatar image

updated 2018-11-11 22:35:00 +0100

Hello All,

I started creating a small DB using Base 6.1.1 -- 2 tables with 1 One to Many relationship, 2 forms and 1 report (so far). A total of 30 entries in the tables. It was crashing all the time I tried to insert a new field in the forms, but I got around it by copying other fields that were created by the Wizard and changing them using the "Replace with" feature.

Then I started making a report. Attempts to insert a Date in the Footer crashed it. Moving Labels from the main area to the Header area also failed.

I uninstalled LibreOffice using the Revo Uninstaller program, removing all the Windows Registry entries and directories on the HDD.

Downloaded and installed version 6.1.3.

The same things are happening, but it got worse -- now it crashes during saving (both, "Save" and "Save as"), giving me a small almost blank window, with the words "Fatal Error". However, reloading it reports success after recovering.

OS = Windows 10.

What to do?

Please advise...

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

Comments

Hello,

Haven't experienced anything like this. Have you tried running in safe mode? From menu Help->Restart in Safe Mode. If this works you have a corrupt User Profile. If not, are you using the default HSQLDB embedded database?

Ratslinger gravatar imageRatslinger ( 2018-11-11 23:03:17 +0100 )edit

Hello Ratslinger, Thank you for your prompt response! Just tried running it in the Safe Mode, disabling HW Acceleration at the start. It recovered the DB successfully. I went to edit the report and tried to insert the date field into the footer. It crashed right away, as before (in non-Safe Mode). Then I tried loading LO again. This time it gave me the 'Fatal Error' with the following text: (continued below...)

Casastr gravatar imageCasastr ( 2018-11-12 08:33:09 +0100 )edit

"The application cannot be started. [Context="user"] caught unexpected com.sun.star.ucb.interactiveAugmentedIOException: an error occured during file opening"

To answer your question. If I understood you correctly, I created the DB originally from within LibreOffice, by pressing the New button.

Casastr gravatar imageCasastr ( 2018-11-12 08:36:23 +0100 )edit

Unfortunately I do not use Windows anymore, moved to Linux. Hopefully someone currently using Windows will be able to help as it is not apparent where the problem is.

Ratslinger gravatar imageRatslinger ( 2018-11-12 17:06:31 +0100 )edit

Hopefully... But thanks anyway!

Casastr gravatar imageCasastr ( 2018-11-12 18:46:15 +0100 )edit

When I was new to base, it often crashed on me. I had previously worked with Access, which also crashed if you knew just where to touch it wrong. It seems new users are the most likely to find the touchy points. Base does have many unfixed bugs. Still it can be used. I save regularly. Also little by little I've learned where to be careful with it. It's a very complex piece of software, and on Linux the best option for a free database front end I think. We're working on the bugs, slowly.

EasyTrieve gravatar imageEasyTrieve ( 2018-11-17 05:31:11 +0100 )edit

I still user version 5.4 for most things, as I think it's a little more stable than 6.

EasyTrieve gravatar imageEasyTrieve ( 2018-11-17 06:14:58 +0100 )edit