Read Only Mode. New issue.

asked 2019-03-16 23:15:45 +0100

Athena0803 gravatar image

My documents are suddenly opening in Read-Only mode. This would normally happen when someone emails me a doc which I would then save with a different name. When I tried to save my document with a different name a warning message comes up showing the file's path and then 'File Not Found' followed by 'Check the file name and try again'. This has not happened before. I am running v. 6.1.5.2 Out of desperation I uninstalled my old version 6.1.2.1 but the same problem with 6152. Yikes! I have work that needs to be done. Help!

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

Comments

Are you opening the file directly from the email? Try to download it first and then open it from disk, not from the email.

RGB-es gravatar imageRGB-es ( 2019-03-16 23:24:16 +0100 )edit

No this is not the issue. These are documents that were previously created and are on my hard drive. They are in Word format but I have been able to access them previously, edit them in Writer and then save back in Word format. Today for some unknown inexplicable (to me) reason I am having this problem. I just tried opening another old document on my laptop and a message popped up saying 'Document could not be locked' and then 'The lock file could not be created for exclusive access by LibreOffice, due to missing permission to create a lock file on that file location or lack of free disk space.' I have loads of free space. Only bought this laptop last fall which is when I installed LibreOffice as I can't afford a new version MS Office. I have been thrilled with LibreOffice until today. I just don ...(more)

Athena0803 gravatar imageAthena0803 ( 2019-03-17 00:58:39 +0100 )edit

The key to the problems seems to be in that error message: a file permission change, perhaps due to some file system change during an update. Last time I used windows was 15 years ago so I cannot help you here. Let's see if another window user can give you a hand.

RGB-es gravatar imageRGB-es ( 2019-03-17 12:20:41 +0100 )edit

I am at a loss as to what to do. Everything was working fine on Thursday. Since then the only things that have happened are a complete Windows Defender virus scan (which picked up nothing) and the set up of a new backup plan on my WD external drive. I have now halted the automatic backup (which was working fine) as well as removed the drive. The latest Win 10 update was prior to Thursday but I rolled it back anyway. I have tested with other applications and files and there is no problem with opening and saving, e.g. Notepad, Adobe Acrobat, photo viewer. The problem seems to only be in LibreOffice.

Athena0803 gravatar imageAthena0803 ( 2019-03-17 20:35:49 +0100 )edit