Ask Your Question

How to insert caret over character

asked 2021-03-05 19:13:07 +0200

fm42 gravatar image

I am trying to insert a caret ABOVE a character. How do I do this. Searching the help did not get any matches. Thanks Frank

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted

answered 2021-03-05 22:26:50 +0200

Earnest Al gravatar image

updated 2021-03-07 10:25:55 +0200

[Edit 2021-03-06 10:04 UTC]

The simple answer is, apparently, to type your number and add, without gap U+0302 immediately after it, then press Alt+X. Works best in Candara font. More information at Numbers with hats. The link to Scale Degrees font might be useful.

A music notation program would surely have a method for entering special characters. Copy the character from the notation program and paste it into Writer, press Alt+X to find out the Unicode number.

[Original answer below]

If you click Insert > Special character and then type circumflex in the search box you should be able to choose from a number of characters with the caret above.

If you use the character infrequently you add it to AutoCorrect, e.g. for â (U+00e2) you could make in AutoCorrect the shortcut :a^: (note that :^a: is probably already a shortcut for superscript a).

If it is another language that you use frequently you should consider using the language and keyboard for the time that you are working in the language. The operating system help might be of use for understanding how and the use of the keyboard.

If you need characters with circumflex over them that don't exist in the Special Characters, you could use Math to insert them using hat x or widehat xyz where x or xyz are the letters you want the caret over. Cheers, Al

edit flag offensive delete link more


.... finally you may enter 00e2 followed by key sequence ALT+X (or ALT+C in some locales) to get an â. Others unicodes for circumflex characters find here:

Opaque gravatar imageOpaque ( 2021-03-05 23:53:15 +0200 )edit

Thanks but the characters I need are not in special characters. They are numbers and are used to signify scale degrees in music. So math is the only option but that does not transfer to my music notation program. Thanks anyway for the response. F.

fm42 gravatar imagefm42 ( 2021-03-06 13:07:30 +0200 )edit

Do any of the extensions help when you search for music?

Earnest Al gravatar imageEarnest Al ( 2021-03-06 20:08:42 +0200 )edit

Judging based on my experiments (with Arial an Cambria) it may not work as expected with decimal digits.
If you want a "wide hat" above a sequence of characters you will need a formula editor anyway (as @Ernest Al already pointed to. There will surely be better solutions than Math concerning music notation, but I haven't any knowledge in the field.
Questions a layman might ask:
If the "hat above digits" is a common notation, why does your music program not support it?
If it's not a common notation, why do you insist on using it?

Lupp gravatar imageLupp ( 2021-03-07 12:47:26 +0200 )edit
Login/Signup to Answer

Question Tools

1 follower


Asked: 2021-03-05 19:13:07 +0200

Seen: 55 times

Last updated: Mar 07