Ask Your Question
0

Base runs ok in Win, fails with "unable to connect" in Linux [closed]

asked 2014-11-05 06:02:34 +0200

JKEngineer gravatar image

updated 2016-03-05 19:50:53 +0200

Alex Kemp gravatar image

I developed a simple Base file in LibreOffice Portable v 4.3.2.2 under Win 7 Pro 64bit. I transferred it to another computer running Win XP SP3 32 bit and possibly version 4.1x of LibreOffice Portable. It works there.
I transferred the files to a Linux Mint 17 32bit system (same machine as the Win XP under dual boot). It has LO v 4.2.6.3, which is the latest in the Mint repository. I can load the database. When I click on a form I get an error message that says approximately: " Connection to the external data source could not be established. No SDBC driver was found for hte URL 'sdbc:embedded:hsqldb' " The same error occurs when I load a version of the form that was saved as a Writer document. The same error occurs when I try to go the Table section and when I try to open a report, except that the report error starts with "The connection to the data source "database name" could not be established. I have successfully registered the database in the options menu. Its location is shown as /home/myname/Documents/VCJC/ContactLists/databasename.odb

All files related to the database are in the same directory.

In all cases, under Tools>Options>LibreOffice Base>Connections I do not have Connection pooling enabled. Enabling does not change the problem. Below the table of drivers it says the current driver is com.sun.star.comp.sdbc.JDBCDriver Does that have to be changed? The Win 7 system shows com.sun.star.comp.sdbc.ODBCDriver. Selecting that in the Linux system does not help.

I definitely don't understand what external data source the database is trying to connect to. Any help in understanding what is going on, and especially in fixing it would be great!

edit retag flag offensive reopen merge delete

Closed for the following reason the question is answered, right answer was accepted by Alex Kemp
close date 2016-03-05 19:51:23.708426

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
0

answered 2014-11-05 15:10:33 +0200

JKEngineer gravatar image

I looked in some other forums and found some info and was able to fix the problem.
The most helpful posting was: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic... which had several suggestions. It also had several people saying they tried them, but were not successful. The route I took, based on a read through of the postings, was to take the simplest approach first. I went into the Linux Mint Software Manager, searched for "libreoffice-sdbc" and found "libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb". Installing it fixed the problem!

The other posting I found was http://en.libreofficeforum.org/node/1671 but it was more tangential to the issue for me. While it was not particularly helpful in this instance, perhaps others will find it useful.

I'm very unclear on why this driver is not automatically included in the Linux Mint LibreOffice installation. It seems to be a pretty basic need - you can't use a (embedded) database without, apparently.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Comments

On Trisquel GNU/Linux, installing "libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb" from Synaptic gave me what I needed for this error.

hartkemd gravatar imagehartkemd ( 2018-08-17 22:01:13 +0200 )edit

Question Tools

1 follower

Stats

Asked: 2014-11-05 06:02:34 +0200

Seen: 759 times

Last updated: Nov 05 '14