Ask Your Question
0

Exporting to PDF from Writer messes up encoding

asked 2015-09-21 01:59:05 +0200

JonnyRobbie gravatar image

updated 2015-09-23 10:18:59 +0200

Alex Kemp gravatar image

I'm tyring to export to pdf from LOWriter. But the pdf has messed up encoding. See linked sceenshot. On the left is Writer, on the right is Okular, but the PDF is messed up everywhere, even on iPad.

screenshot

screenshot

Using Arch

$ uname -roms; pacman -Qi libreoffice-fresh | grep Version
Linux 4.1.6-1-ARCH x86_64 GNU/Linux
Version        : 5.0.1-1

I've tried searching through Settings and export settings, but did not find anything related to waht might help me.

My locale should be set properly:

$ locale -a                
C
cs_CZ.utf8
en_GB.utf8
en_US.utf8
ja_JP.utf8
POSIX
$ locale charmap
UTF-8
edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

2 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
1

answered 2016-03-31 10:51:21 +0200

updated 2016-03-31 10:53:11 +0200

I had this same problem and solved it installing the font I was using in LOW. In my case, I was using Liberation font, which seemed to be installed as I could see it inside LO, but it wasn't.

$ pacman -Ss liberation
community/ttf-liberation 2.00.1-6
Red Hats Liberation fonts.

And installing them solved the issue completely (when making PDFs and printing):

# pacman -S ttf-liberation

As I found over the internet, this issue has nothing to do with locale settings. Hope will help. =)

edit flag offensive delete link more
0

answered 2015-09-23 10:15:00 +0200

Alex Kemp gravatar image

'locale -a' gives you the options available on your system, not what your current locale is. Run the bare command if you want to see what options are currently set for your user:-

:~$ locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

('locale -a' gives the same (wrong syntax) output on my system as you showed; above settings are correct syntax)

Now check that your user's LO setup matches your locale:

  • (menu):ToolsOptionsLanguage SettingsLanguages

The last item is purely for the sake of sanity & should not affect PDF export. If your system is setup for UTF-8 & your font contains all the glyphs for the chars that you are using then there should be zero problems (LO is utf8 by default).

If this helps then please tick the answer (✔)
...and/or show you like it with an uptick ()

edit flag offensive delete link more
Login/Signup to Answer

Question Tools

1 follower

Stats

Asked: 2015-09-21 01:59:05 +0200

Seen: 1,888 times

Last updated: Mar 31 '16