Ask Your Question
0

Writer and Calc won't open ("a folder could not be created")

asked 2015-09-28 01:01:25 +0200

RodKeith gravatar image

updated 2015-10-01 13:04:56 +0200

Alex Kemp gravatar image

The message I get is:

"The application cannot be started. [context="tmp"] caught unexpected com.sun.star.ucb.InteractiveAugmentedIOException: a folder could not bee created"

It was working fine until recently. Can't think of any changes that might have caused the problem. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

OS: Mint 17.2

not sure of LibreOffice version

Followed Alex's instructions to the extent I could understand them . . . Version is 4.4.3.2 (Build:2) I did try uninstalling and reinstalling, but problem persiste. When I tried running soffice.bin in Terminal I get: Fontconfig error: cannot load defaul config file

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
0

answered 2015-09-28 22:47:00 +0200

Alex Kemp gravatar image

updated 2015-10-01 13:33:48 +0200

Almost always a permissions issue.
(your user does not have permission to create that directory).

Launch LO from a console to try to catch the dir/file involved if still uncertain. The binary is called soffice.bin.

PS

:~$ /opt/libreoffice5.0/program/soffice.bin --version
LibreOffice 5.0.0.5 437e4abdf9e72fd0a6e6f8697a0e659bc77f9b10

Updated 1 Oct 2015:

"Running soffice.bin in Terminal I get:"

Fontconfig error: cannot load default config file

Hurrah! Now we have a chance of getting somewhere. This is the main reference that I find (check your error message to this one):-

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/fontconfig-error-470055/
"installed fontconfig and freetype & got the following error:"

Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on fontconfig.org

Fixed by "making a symlink in /usr/share to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts. /usr/share/fonts -> /usr/share/lib/X11/fonts". Ultimately, the problem was due to a partial install - it needed a proper upgrade of all relevant components within the distro to keep everything in sync.

If this helps then please tick the answer (✔)
...and/or show you like it with an uptick ()

edit flag offensive delete link more

Comments

pps

$ which soffice

...

$ soffice --version
karolus gravatar imagekarolus ( 2015-10-01 03:50:58 +0200 )edit
Login/Signup to Answer

Question Tools

1 follower

Stats

Asked: 2015-09-28 01:01:25 +0200

Seen: 1,060 times

Last updated: Oct 01 '15