Ask Your Question
0

Cannot get LO to recognize new dictionary [closed]

asked 2012-10-12 06:32:36 +0200

Merlin gravatar image

updated 2015-10-18 18:53:04 +0200

Alex Kemp gravatar image

I'm trying to add a medical dictionary to LO and have read all the threads in here about the issues. It was an OTX file and the program says the extension was added but the dictionary isn't visible once I'm in the program. I've deleted all all of the unused dictionaries from the extensions folder as one solution suggested and it made no difference. I deleted the profile and restarted office without any improvement. So I'm again looking for help. The spell checker works with the US English dictionary but not with anything I add. The system is a Windows 7 machine and I have the latest version of Lo on it. Any ideas?

edit retag flag offensive reopen merge delete

Closed for the following reason the question is answered, right answer was accepted by Alex Kemp
close date 2015-10-18 18:54:04.253467

Comments

Is there a link for downloading the extension (for testing purpose)?

manj_k gravatar imagemanj_k ( 2012-10-12 21:39:53 +0200 )edit

Sure, here's the one I downloaded the original file from. http://www.e-medtools.com/openofficemedspel.html

Merlin gravatar imageMerlin ( 2012-10-13 08:35:10 +0200 )edit

Forgot to say that the log file shows the following error -- ERROR: (com.sun.star.lang.IllegalArgumentException) { { Message = "There is no such extension deployed: org.openoffice.en-US.medical.dictionaries", Context = (com.sun.star.uno.XInterface) @787c0f0 }, ArgumentPosition = (short) -1 }

Merlin gravatar imageMerlin ( 2012-10-17 16:56:28 +0200 )edit

Please read EDIT 2012-10-17 in my original answer.

manj_k gravatar imagemanj_k ( 2012-10-17 20:39:26 +0200 )edit

2 Answers

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
0

answered 2012-10-13 20:06:24 +0200

manj_k gravatar image

updated 2012-10-17 20:29:02 +0200

Thanks, I have added "en-us-openmedspel.oxt" to LibreOffice 3.6.2.2 (on WinXP), and that works fine for me (with text language en-US).

(1) Download "en-us-openmedspel.oxt"
(2) Start LibreOffice, menu Tools → Extension Manager...
(3) Add... → en-us-openmedspel.oxt → Only for me
(4) Close: Extension Manager, Quickstarter (if enabled), LibreOffice
(5) Restart LibreOffice → Writer (text language en-US).

test_openmedspel

EDIT 2012-10-17
(1)
Added "test_openmedspel.odt" (1350495666833327.odt):

"test_openmedspel.odt"

Please test the installed dictionary with this text document. The words "abrelix" and "abdomnalis" are misspelled, and should offer the suggestions "abarelix" and "abdominalis" (only) with the installed "American English Medical Spell Checking".

(2)

@Merlin: I then did an install of the package again and while extension managers SAYS it is installed when I got to Writer and look for the dictionary it is not there. Oddly enough the Slavic dictionary is present even though I specifically told it not to install. The British version of the English dictionary is there too [...]

Extension Manager: Is there any error symbol for the "American English Medical Spell Checking 1.0"? Or is it similar to my screenshot above?
Writer: Menu "Tools → Options → Language Settings → Writing Aids → User-defined dictionaries" is the wrong place for searching the dictionary extensions. (There you may create your own editable user-defined dictionary for additional words. It shows the ".dic" files from "user\wordbook" and "share\wordbook".)
• You'll find the per-user installed dictionary extensions (.oxt) in your LibreOffice user profile (as shown in the screenshot below).

openmedspel.oxt

• As you can see, my "log.txt" shows the same dubious "error" (also for other extensions) – but all these extensions work fine.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Comments

See also → Bug 56097 - Cannot install user dictionaries

Status: RESOLVED INVALID

manj_k gravatar imagemanj_k ( 2013-03-06 16:16:25 +0200 )edit
0

answered 2012-10-17 16:53:05 +0200

Merlin gravatar image

As I noted in the original thread, I installed it exactly as I should have and it did not work. I then tried all of the various solutions to the spell check issues that I found in the forums. None of them worked either. I even went to a new machine and did a clean custom install limiting the initial dictionaries copied to the English US (at least in theory, more on that in a minute) so that I wouldn't have to wade through all the languages I would not be using or have them cluttering up the system. I then did an install of the package again and while extension managers SAYS it is installed when I got to Writer and look for the dictionary it is not there. Oddly enough the Slavic dictionary is present even though I specifically told it not to install. The British version of the English dictionary is there too even though to told the install package to include only the US Version. So thanks for trying it doesn't work.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Comments

See Edit 2012-10-17. Extension Manager is the only place, where the dictionary is shown on the user interface. It works in the background. Please check with "test_openmedspel.odt": a. dictionary enabled , b. disabled (Extension Manger → Disable/Enable → Restart LibO).

manj_k gravatar imagemanj_k ( 2012-10-17 22:53:47 +0200 )edit

Question Tools

Stats

Asked: 2012-10-12 06:32:36 +0200

Seen: 792 times

Last updated: Oct 17 '12