Add Chapter numbers to headers of novel

I have tried to follow the documentation to add automatic changing chapter numbers to the header, but it is fragmented. I then tried a number of ways people advised on the internet. Each way I approach it I run into a block. I am trying to change the page size and font styles to make an attractive book template. I need to know how from a blank document to the end result. I am using Libreoffice24 and linux mint

This requires page styles, heading numbering through built-in feature and field insertion. Have you read the Writer Guide for an introduction to these features?

And, of course, the document must be saved .odt for formatting stability and persistence.

Here is a sample document I ran up for a similar question some time in the last year or so. It isn’t complete nor comprehensive but can be inspected to see what fields (right click and select Edit Field) and styles (highlighted in Styles pane in Sidebar) were used.
Note that an understanding of fields styles is needed. Heading 1 is the chapter style which will update numbering for each chapter.
BookWithLayout.odt (14.2 KB)

I have one question about your BookWithLayout.odt. How does the table of contents get updated? I put one of my novels into your template, and everything worked as I expected except I don’t know how the table of contents should work, and it is write protected.

Two methods:

• Tools>Update>Update All
  • right-click in TOC and Update index
1 Like