Adding list of tables and list of figures entries into table of contents

I’m writing my dissertation which is subject to a strict code for formatting. The text has a table of contents, list of tables, and a list of figures. The ToC evaluates only heading 1, 2, etc. paragraph styles. I need to show list of tables and list of figures in the ToC as well. So my question is, can I make the ToC show paragraph styles different from and in addition to heading family? Specifically, “Table Index Heading”. If so, how? There is a solution for a similar question in superuser, namely, changing the paragraph style of List of Tables and List of Figures titles into heading 1. This doesn’t work for me, because indexes of tables and graphs must look different from actual chapter headings. (i.e. there must be specific amount of spacing between all heading styles and the following text, which I don’t want in between “List of Figures” and the first entry.) Thanks a lot in advance. Libreoffice v. 7.6.6.3, Linux Mint

Please confirm that you want your figure/table captions included inside the TOC. These captions will appear in page order, interspersed within headings. This is not the traditional layout.

Commonly, the part of the book showing the TOC contains separate tables names “List of Figures” and “List of Tables” with the following layout:

Table of Contents

1. My first chapter ............. 4
   1.1. Where I discover LO ..... 4
   1.2. Where I experiment ...... 5
2. My second chapter ............ 6
   2.1. I broke my keyboard ..... 6

Table of figures
Figure 1: LO window layout ..... 4
Figure 2: my keyboard .......... 6

Is this what you want?

1 Like

I’d like the ToC to index “list of tables” and “list of figures” like it does my chapter headings. So in that sense, I’d like to see table indexes as entries in the ToC.
As in:

Table of Contents

Foreword…i
List of figures … iii
List of tables …iv

1. My first chapter … 4
    1.1. Where I discover LO … 4
    1.2. Where I experiment … 5
  2. My second chapter … 6
    2.1. I broke my keyboard … 6

Title of indexes are formatted with specific paragraph styles:

• Contents Heading for TOC
  • Figure Index Heading for figures
  • Table Index Heading for tables

Consequently, to include the title of “List of Figures” in the TOC, either configure your TOC at time of creation or righ-click on it and Edit Index.

1. in the Type tab
  2. tick Additional styles
  3. press Assign styles
  4. in the pop-up window, look for the desired style, i.e. Figure Index Heading
  5. click on the desired level (in your case, level 1)
  6. OK
  7. OK to leave configuration and generate the TOC

Avoid to include the TOC heading in the TOC. This would duplicate pointlessly the information.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to answer such a simple question! I couldn’t figure out “assign styles” was meant for this. Worked like a charm.

You’re welcome.
This Assign styles is a very powerful feature. In particular it allows to have your main part chapters numbered numerically and your appendices numbered alphabetically (it requires of course a collection of styles similar to Heading n and a dedicated list style)…

1 Like

Good to know, cheers!