Adjusting Division Between Cells of Table in Writer

I have one cell which I split into two horizontally. I want to maintain the height of the two cells so that when I move the division between the cells down, the lower cell doesn’t move down and push all content below it downwards. So the row height of the bottom cell has to reduce as the row height of the top cell increases.
Is this possible?

It’s a one column table? I think that no, but who knows.
Can you share a simple image of what do you want?
Don’t user Answer, please. You can edit your question and add there. Thanks.

You describe the effect you want to achieve but not the reason for it. Writer works on textual contents and layout is a consequence of this contents. You request a layout first and probably will add text afterwards. This is the opposite of the usual workflow.

There may be a solution or not but we need to understand the purpose of your request in relation with text in the table.

Explain also what you mean with “when I move the division between the cells down”: do you drag the line with the mouse?

Yes, I drag the line with a mouse.
I want to have two panels, one with an address and the other with a phone number. The phone number is under the address. So simply two cells, one on top of another, but I want to keep the overall outline of the two cells together the same size as I drag the line between them downwards. Instead, the bottom cell is moving downwards, irrespective of whether row cell for that cell is fixed or not.
I want to design something where the layout’s more important than the text. The latter changes.

I think that your “dual cell” is logically a single cell with two different paragraphs. You could solve your problem by designing two paragraph styles, one of which has an horizontal border (top or bottom depending on which style you set it). The space occupied by your elements (address and phone number) will depend on the spacing and font settings in the styles.

You’ll no longer need to worry about separator dragging and applying the styles in other cells will immediate give the intended result with consistency all over the document.

1 Like