<alt>+num.pad entry ref:bug 158112 (applicable part pasted)

I received a response in program developer terminology.
Can someone translate this into layman’s terms?
I understand all the computer-terms except “SB decks”, but I do NOT understand what I am being told.
I want to be sure I understand what I am being told before responding.
Please advise.
Thanks, Tracey
BTW I have seen some programs that recognize the numbers entered using the numbers above the keyboard distinct from numbers entered via the number pad.

I am using:
Version: 24.2.0.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: b1fd3a6f0759c6f806568e15c957f97194bbec8f
CPU threads: 2; OS: Windows 6.1 Service Pack 1 Build 7601; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: CL threaded

bug tdf#158112 in part:

Tracey 2024-01-27 17:39:40 UTC
Whenever I enter accented characters via +num-pad, I always seem have to prefix the “number” with a zero (¿4 digit numbers?)
I do NOT know if this is required or not.

If this is so for all accented characters using this method, can the short-cut to the right side-bar only be triggered when the whole numerical entry is only a single digit (¿1 thru 9?) and all others are used to enter a character?

Please advise.
Thanks, Tracey
[tag] [reply] [−]Comment 42V Stuart Foote 2024-01-27 20:50:40 UTC
The fix at 24.2.1 and 24.8.0 splits the LibreOffice UI shortcuts assigned for SB decks from the MS Windows decimal Alt codes using the Numpad keys.

The +[1-9] (with keyboard numbers) assigned to the SB decks are now distinct from the +[1-9] (with numpad numbers) restoring these MS “OEM” decimal Alt codes (those from 1-256):

+ VK_NUMPAD1 → :relaxed: WHITE SMILING FACE (Unicode U+263A)
+ VK_NUMPAD2 → :slight_smile: BLACK SMILING FACE (Unicode U+263B)
+ VK_NUMPAD3 → :heart: BLACK HEART SUIT (Unicode U+2665)
+ VK_NUMPAD4 → :diamonds: BLACK DIAMOND SUIT (Unicode U+2666)
+ VK_NUMPAD5 → :clubs: BLACK CLUB SUIT (Unicode U+2663)
+ VK_NUMPAD6 → :spades: BLACK SPADE SUIT (Unicode U+2660)
+ VK_NUMPAD7 → • BULLET (Unicode U+2022)
+ VK_NUMPAD8 → ◘ INVERSE BULLET (Unicode U+25D8)
+ VK_NUMPAD9 → ○ WHITE CIRCLE (Unicode U+25CB)

Additionally the full range of MS decimal “OEM” Alt codes, as well as the decimal MS “ANSI” alt codes (e.g. those starting with “0”) are available. With an enhancement that the entire Unicode Basic Multiplane (BMP) and Supplemental Multiplane (SMP) can be entered now via decimal Alt code.

A future enhancement to handle Alt code entry via HEX and the MS Windows “EnableHEXNumpad” registry value has been suggested.

“SB decks” = Side Bar decks

And have a look at:

Insert Special Characters in Writer

In the next version 24.2 the conflicting combinations will only be active when you use the numbers above the letters.
So using the input with Alt+numeric-keypad should work again on Windows.
To access the sidebar via Alt+1 etc. you have to use the numbers over the letters.

2 Likes