Alternative e-mail client

I enjoy LibreOffice and use it a lot. Good work! One thing it doesn’t have is a replacement for Microsoft Outlook. Do you know of any more-or-less equivalent free e-mail client that runs on Windows (I don’t care about all the non-e-mail fluff that has been glommed into Outlook)? Thanks for all you do.

I am afraid you have a wrong conception about LO. LO primary goal is to create documents: text, spreadsheet, drawing, presentation. It is not aimed at electronic mail.

It comes however with a “send” feature. See menu File>Send>…

But you must first configure it with Tools>Options, Internet>Email. You must designate here a mailer program. It won’t work if you email with a web browser.

Under Linux I use Thunderbird. I have no competence in Window$.

You can also reverse the paradigm: instead of e-mailing from inside LO, you can create your e-mails in your usual application (even your web browser) and attach the LO document.

1 Like

I use Thunderbird in Windows. It manages well with several accounts and several identities (company, associations, etc)

1 Like

Just a historic remark concerning the concept (in a sad mood):
The original ancestor of “our software” was Star Office by Star Division.
It was “Windows only” and didn’t come with a lot of locales, but its invitation “Do Everything In One Place!” was kind of truth. It even captured the complete Win-desktop into its starting frame, and came with a scheduler and a mail client. And it supported MDI, of course. You could even “tile” its desktop to get more than one document of arbitrary classes shown side-by-side.
The funny (incredible?) thing: It was programmed cleanly enough to allow an age old installer for V5.2 (of year 2000) which I had preserved in the depth of my file cellar to install to the full functionality under win 10. (I neither tested the scheduler nor the mail client, however.) A simple spreadsheet I just created opened correctly in LibreOffice V 24.8.0.3RC.
Tears …

1 Like

Are you sure it was Windows only? I am sure I had Star Office with a Linux distribution (Suse?) boxed set that I got in 1998 or 1999

First Version supporting Linux was StarOffice3.1 ~1996|97 wikipedia

@EarnestAl, @karolus: Thanks for the update to my memories.
My early experiences with StarOffice were on Win 95, and (hoping to remember correctly this time) the help didn’t mention Linux or other Unix-type systems. Hoping to remember correctly now, SUN grabbed Star Division in 1999 (the en.wikipedia mentions 2000 on the same page), and I took for granted that SUN drove the development to make SO fit into their “Solaris” OS. But now factually I remember a full-day visist to their then new German headquarters near Munich (Kirchheim) in 2000 where they already presented a StarOffice running on Solaris.
Sorry!
Do you also know if Linux systems at that time supported a full MDI (not just tabbed documents like Notepad++) adapting the UI elements of the top parent window to the focused document’s type?

I’m not quite sure about the exact technically specification of MDI, but after a bit research… there was all the time a zoo of different desktop-managers, window-managers, compositors …etcpp on linux. … so I would guess: yes theris a good chance that something like MDI exists at that time. ( without any warranty :wink: )