Appendices, right/left page headers differentiation undesired

Version: 7.4.5.1 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 40(Build:1)
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.utf8); UI: en-US
7.4.5-1
Calc: threaded

Document doesn’t intend to differentiate righ/left side pages.
Regular chapters use own page styles (firtst page style - subsequent pages style).
Appendix chapters user own page styles (firtst page style - subsequent pages style).
Similar with level 1 and level 2 headings - own paragraph/list styles for regular chapters and appendices.

For some unclear reason document appendices area makes differentiation right/left side page. This however happens only for

• page header and footer regions, and
  • pages with page first paragraph of heading level 1 style

I didn’t find the root cause of differentiation made righ/left side.

UPDATE: in the end Writer crashed. It’s manual restart began with document restore, finally problem described above is gone.

You didn’t tell the full story: have different left/right header/footer in your regular chapters?
I understand that the first page in your chapters are styled First Page (you can do that, though this page style is intended for the cover). You probably have altered the Next Style attribute for some other page style, Right Page?
Have you also altered Heading 1 paragraph style Text Flow so that it has an automatic page break which switches to First Page?

If your appendices use the same Heading 1 or the same First Page then alternation will happen the same as in your chapters.

EDIT: just read your update. So, good. But for complete understanding of the issue, please describe your Heading 1, First Page and eventual other page styles configuration.

Yes, it can well be me to not tell full story as I still didn’t learn to see complete context for particular situation.

have different left/right header/footer in your regular chapters?

Actually not, regular chapters work as expected, that differentiation doesn’t take place.

I understand that the first page in your chapters are styled First Page

Yes, this way.

(you can do that, though this page style is intended for the cover)

I see this is my first mistake.
First page of every regular chapter needs to have header formatted by its own.
This rule doesn’t apply to footers.
Similar for appendices, however I’m not gonna to say “identical”. Appendices will for sure get own page numbers format.
What will be clean way to achieve this?

You probably have altered the Next Style attribute for some other page style, Right Page ?

Actually not, have checked it both for regular chapters and appendices (first and subsequent pages).
Regular chapters: First Page and Default Page Style styles
Appendices: user defined 1st page and subsequent ones page styles

Have you also altered Heading 1 paragraph style Text Flow so that it has an automatic page break which switches to First Page ?

Definitely, Yes

please describe your Heading 1 , First Page and eventual other page styles configuration.

How complete does that description need to be?

Current problem is appendices page numeration, which uses other numbering style than for regular chapters, doesn’t start from I. I have had it already managed but in meantime lost.

Regarding settings in dialog under: Tools > Chapter Numbering … following question
Is it about one single chapter numbering scheme for whole document,
or can one define two schemes, one for chapters, one for appendices?

In this particular case appendices are expected to

• have own page number format, different as chapters
  • page numbering starting from scratch
  • appendix and appendix sections headings to be formatted own way
  • every next appendix to start on new page
  • have different header appendix first page than appendix remaining pages

Appendices need to have own chapter numbering scheme due to independent heading styles (chapters vs appendices) - no idea if this is feasible.

I seem to need to

• use LO-external means in order to merge document logical sections to final document: declarations + cover + table of content + several lists of objects + appendices,
  • edit every single logical part in LO
    Otherwise I can’t manage under acceptable effort to get all the nuances on different page numbers handling each logical unit, different header handling inside unit as desired.

Since a page style can have only one header and one footer, the same page style(s) can’t be used for your chapters and appendices if you need a different numbering category (Roman or alphabetic vs. numeric) as this requires a change in the footer. Page number is a field but modifying formatting (Roman vs. numeric) is akin to using a different field, hence a different footer.

To restart page numbering to 1, you must Insert>More Breaks>Manual Break to be able to force page number. Even if you have an automatic page break in your paragraph style for appendix level 1, this manual page break is needed to add the page restart (both page breaks will be merged into a single one).

To format appendix headings differently from chapter, you must recreate styles similar to Heading n. Add the page page break in Text Flow for “Appendix 1”.

For a special first page in appendices, it is simpler to untick Same content on first page in Header tab of appendix page style. You then don’t need a separate style for first page.

Tools>Chapter Numbering defines a document-wide numbering scheme for the headings. If you want another scheme for your appendices, e.g. alphabetical vs. numeric, you must define a specific list style for the appendices and associate it with the paragraph styles of appendix headings. Note that the numbering will not be automatically set to the heading level. You’ll need to promote manually the heading to its list level.
Doing this is tricky. Search this site for the recipe. It has been given several times.

Thanks for input.

Since a page style can have only one header and one footer, …

Yes, I confirm appendices and chapters use own page styles, additionally separate page styles for chapter/appendix first page, then chapter/appendix remaining pages. I think me was lucky
to had mentioned it in opening post.

You’re also right me was in uncertainty for short time. Means as for unit of appendices yet for a try I have had removed differentiation first-page vs. remaining pages page styles. All this due to input got here previously “you can do that, though this page style is intended for the cover”.

I am still on processing remaining parts of your kind input. Please accept my ongoing updates on answering.

you must define a specific list style for the appendices and associate

Actually, it is already done, under two exceptions - style of ordered list delivered by LO-installer is used and assigned to headings paragraph style in appendix, two levels over all. Chapters do not use this list style - therefore I thought it was ok to take them for appendices. Furthermore, heading level 2 does not use list entries characters. I think me was lucky to get familiarized with promoting heading levels to numbering - chapters use it already with success.

To restart page numbering to 1, you must…

This generates unfortunately one wholly blank page, regardless of I insert page break at the end of previous page or as most first character first appendix. It doesn’t look good in this document.

For a special first page in appendices, it is simpler to untick Same content on first page in Header tab of appendix page style.

Unfortunately appendix pages populated with header use horizontal line below header text line. Header bottom border line is used to achieve this. I learned header borders are configurable only in header paragraph style. I learned one can’t do it in page style definition. If appendix first page must not have this line I need dedicated page style with header disabled. I wonder if my understanding is right.