Auto-correct lower case i to upper case

As of today Writer no longer automatically changes a single lower case “i” to upper case.

Check the language settings in the paragraph style, in the manual formatting properties, etc…

It works in with English (and its versions - I suppose it) language setting only.

Thanks for responding. I don’t find any reference to language in the formatting>paragraph options. English is the only language I use.

Some things to check:

1. In the Status bar at the bottom of the LibreOffice window, does it show None when the cursor is in the paragraph where the i does not change to I ? If so then select the text and change the Language to the one you would expect to write in.
  2. If you click Tools > AutoCorrect is While typing ticked? If not then click to toggle.
  3. If you click Tools > AutoCorrect > AutoCorrect Options > Replace and scroll down to i is it there with the replace option of I?
    • Is the language shown in Replacements and exceptions for language the one that you expect to write in?
    • Does the language you choose to write in have anything listed in Replacements? For example English (New Zealand) does not come with any pre-loaded replacements, not even i to I. It can be easier to choose a different default language with similar spelling, e.g. English (UK).
      • To change the default language for documents click Tools > Options > Languages and locales > General and set under Default Language for Documents to your preferred language.
2 Likes

Thank you for your response. It turns out that, while “i to I” is included in the Replace list, I had Replace unselected. I selected (or “ticked”) it and now it’s working as it used to.

1 Like