Calc Cell Method setformula Causes #NAME? (Error Code 525) with Workaround (SOLVED)

Have a spreadsheet with multiple, identical sheets, where each sheet contains a cell that is updated by a macro that sets the formula of the cell. The formula varies by only the single range of cells referenced by the formula.
I have read most of the Calc macro documentation and various examples on the Web. I also scrubbed through Ask LO for relevant solutions. I think I followed the advice of all that I read. So here is the problem, my troubleshooting steps, and the workaround that I’ve implemented. I’m submitting this issue so that you might determine if there is a bug in Calc, or indicate where I fell short in the coding.

Problem: Invoking method oCell.setFormula(sString), where sString contains the formula and oCell was previously set via oCell = oSheet.getCellByPosition(HICOL, HIROW), causes the cell to contain the #NAME? error. Also, via Watch in the IDE, I saw where the error code is 525. I was also able to see via Watch that after the method is invoked both formula and formulaLocal have the proper string. The proper string was also observed in Calc in the cell’s value bar. I tried using Detective to no avail - seeing what one expected to see. Also, with the error visible in Calc, when I double-clicked the cell, the cell would be bounded by a purple box.

Troubleshooting Steps: Within Calc, inserting a blank at the end of the string in the value bar and hitting Enter, corrected the error with the proper expected value being displayed. Also, when using the Function Wizard with the supposed cell error condition, the Wizard had no trouble displaying the formula. Without doing any changes in the Wizard and selecting OK, the error condition was corrected as well.

WorkAround: The above got me thinking that something is missing in the code and I needed to do something to make the cell be re-evaulated. I inserted the following line of code, and the error condition went away: oCell.FormulaLocal = sString

I would appreciate it if you could tell me where I messed up. One of the documents where I found how to set a cell’s formula came from " Useful Macro Information For OpenOffice.org" By Andrew Pitonyak.

The entire macro Sub follows:

Sub CalcAllHIs
Dim i as Integer
Dim SheetType as Integer
Dim NmbrSheets as Integer
Dim NmbrScores as Integer
Dim oSheets as Object
Dim oSheet as Object
Dim oCell as Object
Const SHEETTYPECOL = 0								' sheet type is currently stored
Const SHEETTYPEROW = 41							' in cell location A42.
Const NMBRSCORESCOL = 2							' # of scores is currently stored
Const NMBRSCORESROW = SHEETTYPEROW	' in cell location C42.
Const MAXHDSCORES = 20							'sort only top 20 rows in HD order
Const HICOL = 10											' HI is currently stored
Const HIROW = 1											' in cell location K2
Dim sString As String

Rem Get all of the sheets in this spreadsheet
oSheets = ThisComponent.getSheets()

Rem Get how many there are
NmbrSheets = oSheets.getCount() - 1

Rem Process all individual golfer sheets, skipping all other sheet types
For i = 0 To NmbrSheets

Rem Get the current/next sheet in the list
	oSheet = oSheets.getByIndex(i)

Rem Get the sheet type (1 => golfer sheet)
	oCell = oSheet.getCellByPosition(SHEETTYPECOL, SHEETTYPEROW)
	SheetType = oCell.getValue()
	If SheetType =1 Then

Rem Make the current sheet the "active" sheet
		ThisComponent.currentController.setActiveSheet(oSheet)

Rem Sort all 40 rows by Date (col 0) in descending order		
		Call SortRange("b2:J40", 0, FALSE)

Rem Get the total number of scores entered into this sheet
		oCell = oSheet.getCellByPosition(NMBRSCORESCOL, NMBRSCORESROW)
		NmbrScores = oCell.getValue()

Rem Construct a string of the cell range to sort.
		Rem If NmbrScores is greater than 20, then restrict it to 20	
		if NmbrScores > MAXHDSCORES Then NmbrScores = MAXHDSCORES	
		sString = Left("b2:j" & (NmbrScores+1), 6)

Rem Sort top 10 rows by HD (col 8) in ascending order
		Call SortRange(sString, 8, TRUE)

Rem Set today's date in the "as of:" cell
		SetDate

Rem Make room for entry of new/future scores
		ClrSpace

Rem Set the proper HI formula based on NmbrScores
		oCell = oSheet.getCellByPosition(HICOL, HIROW)
		Select Case NmbrScores
			Case 1 to 6
				sString = "=TRUNC(AVERAGE(J2:J2)*0.96,1)"
			Case 7, 8
				sString = "=TRUNC(AVERAGE(J2:J3)*0.96,1)"
			Case 9, 10
				sString = "=TRUNC(AVERAGE(J2:J4)*0.96,1)"
			Case 11, 12
				sString = "=TRUNC(AVERAGE(J2:J5)*0.96,1)"
			Case 13, 14
				sString = "=TRUNC(AVERAGE(J2:J6)*0.96,1)"
			Case 15, 16
				sString = "=TRUNC(AVERAGE(J2:J7)*0.96,1)"
			Case 17
				sString = "=TRUNC(AVERAGE(J2:J8)*0.96,1)"
			Case 18
				sString = "=TRUNC(AVERAGE(J2:J9)*0.96,1)"
			Case 19
				sString = "=TRUNC(AVERAGE(J2:J10)*0.96,1)"
			Case Else 'assume 20
				sString = "=TRUNC(AVERAGE(J2:J11)*0.96,1)"
		End Select

Rem write the appropriate formula to the HI cell
		oCell.setFormula(sString)
		Rem Next line of code was needed to solve an unexplained issue where the previous LoC resulted
		Rem in the HI cell getting error #NAME? (code 525). It "works" for now...
		oCell.FormulaLocal = sString
	Endif
Next

Rem Create a new entry into the Indexes sheet
NewIndexes

End Sub 'CalcAllHIs

edit: by @karolus fenced ``````code

If there is anything else you’d like me to provide, just let me know.

Regards,
fbang652

Are you sure that 1 should be preceded by a comma and not a semicolon?

(Also, I’m not sure if heavy use of expressions like AVERAGE(J2:J2) will have a positive impact on the performance of Calc.)

Excellent! Always good to have another pair of eyes to review one’s work.

First, replacing the comma with a semicolon solves the error condition, and conforms to the Help page for the TRUNC() function. But there is still a related issue…

I first removed the line of code that assigns oCell.formulaLocal and changed all commas to semicolons. This worked; however, in Calc with focus on the cell, the Value Bar still showed a comma. I edited the Value Bar and changed the comma to a semicolon, but when I hit Enter, the comma returned! (This is why my code had the comma, as I had Copy&Pasted the Value Bar after manually typing the formula to begin with…) Anyway, I also tried assigning oCell.formulaLocal via my macro, but that would not change the comma to a semicolon either.
As another data point, I created a formula in a new cell in Calc using the Function Wizard with function TRUNC(): I entered 123.765 for the number and 1 for the count. The expression provided by the wizard contains a comma - not a semicolon. The resulting Value Bar contained the comma as well. Why the contradiction with the Help page? Alternatively, if the comma is acceptable, why the original error? Is it possible that using a semicolon within the string in the macro is just another workaround?
So, maybe we solved the original issue, but now we have another issue. How should we proceed with this Post? Mark it solved and open a new Post about the comma? Or maybe you can see something else I’m doing incorrectly?
Thanks JohnSUN!!

Which one? Separators? setFormula? Last paragraph in @Lupp’s old answer?

It’s complicated…

The API XCell::setFormula() and String="=..." expect the formula expression to be in English locale with ; semicolon function parameter separator.

Up to and including 7.1.x the VBA compatibility Range.Formula and Range.FormulaR1C1 properties wrongly used localized formula expressions as if they were Range.FormulaLocal and Range.FormulaR1C1Local implementations. That was corrected with 7.2.x (and yields an incompatibility) and Range.FormulaLocal and Range.FormulaR1C1Local are implemented.
See 7.2 ReleaseNotes.

I’m running v7.2.4.1
Thanks for the reference.

Enter a valid formula into a cell, select it and run:

print ThisComponent.CurrentSelection.getFormula()

Whatever you try to do here, it is not constructive to do it in Basic.

71612.ods (8.7 KB)
Spreadsheets calculate with moving ranges pretty well. You can open this file with any program able to handle a simple ODF spreadsheet.

Thanks for the tip.