Calc document is changing text size in cells when changing computers (different DPI settings of Win10)

I have a big issue here. I have a Calc document that i’ve saved on a desktop computer (DPI scaling = 100%). The text size in the cells is 10. Exporting PDF or printing on this computer works normally, as expected.

When i open the document on a notebook with a smaller screen (DPI scaling = 125%), the text size gets a bit bigger (by 25%) and the cells overflow and/or the text goes over the margins. Then, exporting PDF or printing, the text is cut-off in all those areas!

Something is wrong here. Text size in cells should not change with different Windows 10 DPI settings. It doesn’t make sense to me that different people with different hardware will see the same document differently formatted (and possibly broken, like in this case).

The version of LibreOffice is the same on both desktop and notebook (v7.5). Maybe i’m missing some important setting? Please help me resolve this.

The LO 7.5.0 is the latest Fresh version today. If you are a tester, then report the bug. If you a simple user, use the latest Still version of the LO. You can choose it on the official download page.
If the behavior of the older version is same, then please upload a small sample file here.

I’ve installed this version over a week ago:
Version: 7.5.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community

Is this not a regular one? What does “still version” mean?

Please read the description on the official download page:

…and here:

Oh, i didn’t realize that it’s not the regular version. I will install v7.4.5 and report back with my findings. Thank you.

The Fresh is a Stable version, but not some Beta. The Still version is “MORE stable”.

Do you have the same fonts on both computers? A substitute font might have different metrics, e.g. if you used Arial Narrow on one computer and the other didn’t have that font then a substitute font will be used which might be Liberation Sans or Arial both of which are wider. You will know if the font is substituted because the name will appear italicised in the Font Name box
FontSubstituted

I did a test creating a spreadsheet with numbers filling the cell and cells filling a page. On the same PC closing LO, changing Windows screen magnification from 100% to 125% did not affect the characters in the cells nor the cells on the page.
Version: 7.5.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: c21113d003cd3efa8c53188764377a8272d9d6de
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22621; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-NZ (en_NZ); UI: en-GB
Calc: CL threaded

Yes, i used Calibri Regular, it’s a standard Win10 font. Even copied my font-files to the notebook, with no difference.

When i switch the notebook to 100% scaling, all is well. But when i switch back to 125%, the issue happens.

Maybe i’ll try with a different font, before i roll back to 7.4.5. But currently i don’t have access to the notebook.

Did you test with cells that are filled to the edge with text, so any percent more would cut off the text (the “growth” would be stronger, the longer the text is)? And could it be that letters have different metrics than numbers (just speculation)? Could you try the test again with Calibri and letters?

Using Calibri, Regular, 10pt, text and numbers filling cells, the resulting exported pdfs are identical as I click from one to the other.

So why do you encounter this issue? Possibilities might be related to damaged font, different printer settings, e.g. if you use Letter size and one computer defaults to A4 print (6mm narrower), corrupted user profile, corrupted file, etc.

Have a look at these two links and run through some of the suggestions, maybe file a bug report if the steps can’t resolve issue for you First steps to take before submitting a bug - The Document Foundation Wiki and How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki

Thanks for the infos. I just did the test with 100% and 125% scaling on my own computer, and i had the same results as you. Very weird.

The issue occurred and has been reproduced on the notebook of my friend. She’s the one i did the document templates for, and she can’t currently use them until this is resolved. Unfortunately we had very little time, otherwise i would’ve probably tested her desktop computer as well (the ODS works there without weirdness, but i have not tested 125% scaling - will do in the next days, though).

For now it looks like the issue is not with LibreOffice, but with my friend’s system, or at least with some crazy edge case interaction thing between both. I’m gonna keep digging.

1 Like