Calc formula for Double Dependent Dropdown with price output

Hi again libre community,

So I have made a double dependent drop down list, but how do I output the price in the next cell?

I currently have 2 drop down list populated with a few data.

Make  (drop down list 1)              version  (drop down list 2)        Price output
Bananas                                   Yellow                             ?
Apples                                    Red                                ?
Oranges                                  tangy                               ?

I know the price for each version of the listed item, but because its from a drop down list, how do I automatically make the price appear on the next cell without having to type it up individually?

There is a missing link to price data and how price depends on column version. So I don’t see how anyone could help here. The simple meta type answer is:

=IFS(AND(A2="Bananas";B2="Yellow");yellowBananasPrice;AND(A2="Apples";B2="Red");RedApplesPrice;AND(A2="Oranges";B2="tangy");tangyOrangesPrice) in column Price output. But this isn’t what you may want.

@anon73440385: Probably @noobspreader had in mind a contingency table.

@Lupp - This may be, may be not, but I’m not successful in reading in other peoples mind.

Quoting @anon73440385: “…, but I’m not successful in reading in other peoples mind.”
So am I, and I more than once “decided” to not again try guessing in such cases. I probably will make it a new year’s resolution this time. Will it work then better?

@anon73440385, yes, i think that may be an even better and simpler solution to my question…hrmm, the if statements will work, but there is too much typing involved, i think i will try to do a v or hlookup instead.

To explain and exemplify my comment on the statement by @anon73440385 above, I attach a little demo.

If the OQ rejects the guess, I will delete this attempt.

Please be sure to note that the ‘Data Validity’ tool is a very doubtable means to mimic database features in spreadsheets. Entered values in the ranges using it will neither update if the validity setting itself is changed nor if the lookup ranges are edited or the values there are changed in a different way. Validation only takes place at the moment the choice is made.

Questioners: Always try hard, please, to word your questions in a clear and sufficiently complete way.

Hey, apologies for the late reply…thanks for the feedback, I think there is too much things going on with what I really wanted to happen, I will try and fo Opaque’s way of doing it, i think it may be an easier solution for me.

I still couldn’t find out what you actually need. The appropriate approach to a solution in such a case will substantially depend on the Format your input has.
If it assigns a price to any valid combination of “make” and “version” in a separate row, the lookup for a compound key is the means of choice, and only the sorting is relevamt concerning the efficiency then.
If your “prices table” actually is a contingency table, the way I exemplified in the attached example is appropriate.
To convert a compound-key-table into a contigency table (or the other direction) is a nontrivial task in itself, and -for obvious reasons- only feasible at all if exactly 2 single keys are regarded. Calc cannot represent tables of higher dimensionality in a reasonable way.
As mostly the choice of means isn’t arbitrary.

the language you are using is gibberish to me im sorry to say, Ill create another question with the actual thing im trying to make, but I really appreciate the feedback.___edit, hrmm, that pivot table may be useful for me in the future. ty for that.

Well, I’m not a native speaker of English, but that’s probably not the problem.
Just for curiosity: What terms or phrases were gibberish to you? Some are kind of technical, of course.
But then again I didn’t mention pivot tables and wouldn’t accept credits insofar ;-).

just technical, bear in mind spreadsheets arent my world (yet)…please see my new posted question, I have learned to use the drop down function now… =)

I had a look into the image (bad) you posted in the new question instead of attaching an example file (good).
Now I know that your “input” neither has a two-keys-structure nor a contingency-table-structure but (roughly) no structure at all.
Merging cells isn’t just bad where whe need to get access to information based on keys, it is an evil.
(I will now have a break and decide later if I get back to the topic.)