Calc: How to disable word auto-capitalization when supposedly hyphenation

I am aware to How to disable word auto-capitalization LibreOffice Calc. The suggestion there does not

(does not was my initial meaning, but only after reading a comment below I realized I wrote the question without the word not)

help for the specific case I will describe. To try and reproduce, do:

1. Start a new calc (emtpy) document.
  2. At one cell, enter mai. 3 keystrokes. That is, the three letters m a i, without the spaces.
  3. At another cell, enter mai-. 4 keystrokes. That is, similar to the previous cell, with the suffix of -. Which is, on my 105 US keyboard, the short middle line under the _ key. Without any space between the i and the hyphen.
  4. At a third cell, enter mai-a. Only 5 keystrokes. That is, similar to the previous cell, with an a after the hyphen. Once again, without any space characters.
  5. Move the cursor to another cell.
  6. Did only mai-a turned into Mai-a?

I am using
Version: 24.2.2.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 420(Build:2)
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 6.8; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
24.2.2-2
Calc: threaded

Since I am not allowed to add more then 2 links in a post, I feel the following worth by passing that.
That looks to me the same issue at title somewhat misleading. Note [dennisjbell comment at Jun 3, 2019 at 17:53](https:// superuser dot com/questions/1438543/how-to-disable-automatic-capitalization-in-libreoffice-calc#comment2179399_1438543), and [AlphaCentauri comment at Jun 3, 2019 at 20:52](https:// superuser dot com/questions/1438543/how-to-disable-automatic-capitalization-in-libreoffice-calc#comment2179570_1438543). Am I wrong the [solution there](https:// superuser dot com/posts/1491365/revisions) does not answer, and does not claim to answer, the specific problem?

If you want to keep the AutoCorrect setting of Capitalise first letter of every sentence then there are some options:

1. Format your column as Text
  2. Immediately after pressing Enter, press Ctrl+Z to undo the capitalisation.
  3. Precede your text with an apostrophe; on pressing Enter, capitalisation will not occur and the apostrophe will disappear.
  4. Add words that must stay lower-case to the Exceptions tab in the pane Words With TWo INitial CApitals or sMALL iNITIAL

If you turn off Capitalise first letter of every sentence then it turns it off in Writer while you type. You can apply capitalisation later by clicking Tools > AutoCorrect > Apply but it will apply all AutoCorrect options ticked in the [M] column or click Tools > AutoCorrect > Apply and Edit Changes

But the exact case that you describe in the rest of your questions seem to be handled perfectly by the setting pointed to by @JohnSUN in the question that you linked to. I have tested, that indeed, the auto-capitalization happened for your third keystroke sequence with that setting active; and it didn’t happen, when I disabled the setting. So - please describe, why you say that it doesn’t help? Note that pointing to other questions doesn’t help, unless you tell what exactly did you try to fix that. Maybe you did some small mistake, which we can’t see from reading others’ posts.

an animated gif at imgur

This question is about Calc; do you mean, that a setting is common for both modules?

Yes. If I turn off Capitalise first letter of every sentence in Calc, then it unticks the [T] column for the same setting in Writer. If I tick it in Writer then it is ticked in Calc.
It is AutoCorrect rather than Calc or Writer so I supposed it is an operation on text rather than a module.

Version: 7.6.4.1 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: e19e193f88cd6c0525a17fb7a176ed8e6a3e2aa1
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22631; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-NZ (en_NZ); UI: en-GB
Calc: CL threaded

I am aware to How to disable word auto-capitalization LibreOffice Calc. The suggestion there does help for the specific case I will describe.

I have fixed my wording, adding the word not. Despite that, I am totally confused. Even though Capitalise first letter of every sentence in Calc is turned on, ticked in, has a v mark, I only get capitalization for the hyphen, 5 letters case. As I do not want such implicit capitalization, it did not bothered me before. And only the forced capitalization with the hyphen bothered me. But now, after you made me aware of that, I noticed it is actually does not seem to work as expected. I must say that as a non native English speaker, I have settings in LibreOffice that are usually not expected for native English speakers. Notably, RTL. Right to left. As you are fully aware of, English is a left to right, LTR, language. I do know that RTL create situations where LibreOffice is misbehaving. I also think that the beginning of a string is a problematic point. Perhaps this is another case of its misbehavior. I don’t know for a fact that my RTL settings are getting in the way. But I truly feel it is the basic problem. And, once again, I am confused about when the setting of Capitalise first letter of every sentence in Calc does, and does not, work. I will ask some one else attention. I do not know if he will respond.

As a side note, EarnestAl suggestions of

1. Immediately after pressing Enter, press Ctrl+Z to undo the capitalisation.
  2. Precede your text with an apostrophe; on pressing Enter, capitalisation will not occur and the apostrophe will disappear.

did what he wrote they will do. Or so I think.