Cannot connect to mysql

No problem, no error, Report shows, wizard opens.

So Java is running well on Mint. Seems Mint doesn’t install HSQLDB, but installs Firebird, which should be the default in future of LO.

Now: Were did you save the connector for MySQL-JDBC-connection? And: Is it really MySQL or is it MariaDB? Best will be to save this connector in the same home directory the *.odb-file has been saved.

Yes. I did some research and learned that HSQLDB is really another database written in Java, and since it worked for your sample file my JRE is OK. Interestingly, Synaptic shows that libhsqldb-1.8 was installed. Now I installed libhsqldb-2.6, but still cannot connect to your _Hsqldb.odb file.

I copied the mysql-connector-java-8.0.28.jar file (2476480 bytes) to the same place where the foo.odb (really penztar_base.odb) is located, but no change.
Screenshot at 2024-01-11 08-08-52.png
Thanks for your patience and persistence - jankom

Please show
Edit → Database → Properties → Additional Settings. Special the string in MySQL JDBC driver class. Should be com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver for your driver.
Jar-file should be added in Tools → Options → Advanced → Class Path

Bingo! That was it: “com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver”.

The jar was already in correct place, and I put the path back where I had it originally (still in the home tree).

Also, just to make sure I rebooted the machine and it still worked. The reason for reboot is because recently, when I replaced OpenOffice in my Mint machine and installed LibreOffice to solve the macro problem, initially connection succeeded, but after reboot it failed due to some certificate or key issues.

Now everything works as expected: I can access my foo.odb (for that matter any odb) file on the Mint machine from Mint LibreOffice or Gentoo OpenOffice. The MySQL server is on the Mint machine.

Thank you very much!

The question remains - why do we need the help of a super expert to make connection work? Is it because LibreOffice focuses on HSQLDB and Firebird, bells and whistles and wizards? I personally prefer the separate database server (MySQL or other), and use *Office as a gui front-end to make manipulation of a database (entering, updating, querying, summarizing, etc easier and simpler. In fact I have bash scripts to do the some stuff to the database.

Finally, how can I give you credit, “like” or something, and how to indicate to others on this board that this issue is finally solved; the “ask question” is correctly and entirely answered?

jankom

Set this one to solved with the post, which solves the problem.

Connection to any external databases will throw the same problem: You will need a special driver for this database. LibreOffice Base will support direct connections to PostgreSQL, MariaDB (MySQL) and Firebird as server databases. So if you chose a different driver (JDBC) you have to look for the connection settings, which aren’t part of LO. I have described the different connection strings in German Base Handbuch, but in English Base Guide I only see screenshots of a JDBC-connector, which won’t work with the old connection string. Seems somebody has made new screenshots and didn’t test the content …

Thanks again, understood - jankom