Can't play videos with Impress on new computer

Greetings. I am having an issue with Impress (6.4.6.2) running on Kubuntu 20.04 (KDE 5.18.5). My HDMI port on my laptop died so I purchased an HP Elite SFF with an 8 X Intel core i7-3770 CPU (3.4Ghz) and 16 GB mem. The issue I have is inserting music videos. I select insert “Audio or Video” and select the music video I want to use. It takes a second or two but instead of a “film” icon I get an audio file icon. When I play it, there is no video, just the music icon taking up the whole screen. I can hear the music play but no video whatsoever. It runs fine on my Rysen system, just not on the new PC. Any thoughts? I would appreciate any help. Thank you

Just an unrelated note:
i like your tagging style., Most people dont make enough use of the tags. If everybody would include their OS and LO Version in the tags per default that would reduce the Question descripton significatntly. Keep it up.

Could be a missing video codec on the new system.

if you are under linux, you might have to install a couple of gstream-plugins to get the full video codec support.

image description

I think, base, good, bad and ugly should cover most codec… but there migh be exception.

related Question

Hope that helps.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

Have a nice day and let’s (continue to) “Be excellent to each other!”

Ask / Getting Started:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Ask/Getting_Started

Thank you! That was precisely the problem. I had loaded codecs for gstreamer but apparently not the right ones. I definitely came to the right place for answers.
Thank you and very best regards,
Mikesan

Thanks also for your comment regarding the tags. But I only added them because I was forced to… I didn’t understand their importance until today. Thanks again and all the best to you.
M