Change document template

Version: 7.4.5.1 / LibreOffice Community

I used to be able to change the document template but I can’t find that option any more. Has it been moved? Where is it now?

What properties do you want to change really? The differently named custom styles of an another template will not be applied automatically - in my opinion. If you used the default styles only, maybe this action can work - even if it is possible.
Similar question:

1 Like

Document Templates in Writer

1 Like

Out-of-the-box Writer has no function to change the initial template. You must install Template Changer extension.

This will make available to your document the styles present in the template. The existing styles which are different (name-wise) from the template are not affected by the change.

2 Likes

Ah right you are. I had long ago (years and years ago) installed that extension but the recent update removed its entry from the menu.

When I went to install the extension --as you suggested-- system displayed a warning that the extension was already installed. I installed again anyway and now it is working again.

Thank you.

Template Changer is what I’ve used often. However, at times it was not available, was not compatible with LO versions.

That said, this functionality is so basic that it should be an integral part of LO.

Forced to find a solution, I wrote a BASH script for this purpose: cht.sh (CHangeTemplate). Syntax is very easy:

dir_with_docs: $ ./cht.sh <template.ott> <master.odm|doc.odt>

More at: How to change LibreOffice Writer Templates - vanderworp.org