Copying into a new row disregards bold formatting

Hi,

I have ran into a problem with LibreOffice Writer version 7.5.5.2, on Manjaro Linux.

I have a .docx document which contains a table, that has bold text in its first column. I would like to add a new row to the table, and insert something from the previous row into the new one.

Randomly the insert will disregard the bold setting, resulting in the inserted text not being bold, despite the fact that both the source and target formatting are set to be bold.

I have tried the following:

• The problem persists if from the original table I copy over the value into a table in a new document with a similar table that was newly created.
  • If I apply an italic setting to the original text, the copy retains that setting, but the boldness disappears.
  • If I clear the direct formatting of the newly created row, the issue is resolved for that particular cell.
  • If I clear the direct formatting for the entire table and reapply it the issue is resolved until the next time I open the document.
  • If I copy normal text it will not be bolded in the new cell.

While there is a resolution to this problem, it is rather unwieldy and I would like to inquire whether there is a method that is permanent. The only major catch is that I can’t switch to .odt for compatibility reasons, otherwise I would have done that long ago.

Thank you for your answers!

Always work in the native, international standard ODF format, and store your important document into the ODF file formats, and create a copy of the document into the foreign, (and/or obsolete) file formats only at the end of the editing.
The LO always works in the ODF format, it uses the ODF model and properties. The lots of the conversions (at opening, and at the saving) will cause lose of the formatting properties, and eve some content too…

I cannot reproduce that. For me, any character formatting, either direct or by character style, is copied. You may want to give precise instructions that we can replicate, and perhaps insert an example document to test.

This happens with native ODF as well. I can reproduce the problem like this:

1. Create a new .odt document
  2. Using the default font (Liberation Serif, 12pt), write some text and press enter.
  3. Turn on bold. Write some more text. Press enter to end the line.
  4. Select some text in the first line, click the “Clone formatting” tool button and click-drag the cursor over the second line.

Expected result: Bold formatting is removed on second line.
Observed result: Bold formatting is preserved.

Edit:
I landed here with a google search. I think this is a bug but I haven’t searched the bug database yet to find out.
This occurrs with the following systems and versions:
Ubuntu 22.04LTS:
Version: 7.3.7.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 30(Build:2)
CPU threads: 24; OS: Linux 6.2; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-CA (en_CA.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 1:7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.3
Calc: threaded
In Windows 11:
Version: 7.4.7.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 723314e595e8007d3cf785c16538505a1c878ca5
CPU threads: 20; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22621; UI render: default; VCL: win
Locale: en-CA (en_CA); UI: en-US
Calc: CL

Actually, I reread the op’s original question - perhaps this isn’t the exact same issue. sorry.

Indeed, this is not the same issue. Please attach a sample file so that contributors can have an idea about your formatting routine. Direct formatting is much more sensitive to this kind of mis-hap than styling.

See attached:
clone-formatting-bug.odt (10.3 KB)

FYI: I already raised a bug a few moments ago:
Clone formatting unbold source text ignores bold attribute on target text.

Works as expected here (Fedora 39, KDE Plasma desktop, LO 7.6.4.1)

General advice: don’t use such tools which encourage direct formatting. This is the wrong way to go with Writer. Writer is based on styles and styles give you much more comfort, freedom and power to format your documents.