Corrupted file with a password

Hello,
I type my diary in a file, in “.odt” format (protected with a password) , but when I tried to open it yesterday, it says I have the wrong password… I’m absolutely sure of the password, apparently there has been a problem(???) and the file is corrupted … I’m desperate … Is there anything I can do ? I already tried basic solutions like putting a copy of the file on another PC…
I’ve seen on forums that you can rename your “odt” as “zip” but in my case it doesn’t seem to help (“fatal error”) …

Do you have a backup copy?

Back up your data in the future. Avoid a data disaster.

no i don’t

Magicians like @mikekaganski can help you if it is “only” a matter of structure or glitch in the XML. But, if the problem occurs very early during decoding the encrypted file, there is absolutely no hope: the cryptographic function is a very secure strong one.

For more inforùation, see I forgot my password to a very important document Please Please help. I'll get fired - Ask LibreOffice

I will try to contact this person. I’m wondering : (i know, maybe i’m asking a lot :sweat_smile: )
Since the file is a diary, it contains very personal information. If someone can fix the file, will they be able to read it ?

You have to weigh your desire to recover your file and the reluctance to leak private data. I trust @mikekaganski to recover your file, if possible, with full privacy respect. But it all depends where the corruption is. If it lies inside file deciphering, there is no hope. If the clear-text structure is damaged, Mike needs your password. You can change it after getting back your file.

As @Hrbrgr suggested, follow a strict backup strategy with any valuable file. This is the simplest and most reliable way to recover from hazards.

It’s already done. The simple fact of mentioning “@<user_name>” in a post sends a notification to this user. Wait till after the weekend to get an answer.

I won’t even try. Sorry.

See this message if OS is Windows.

Does that seem totally hopeless to you ?

If it rejects the password, then either there is really a different password (which you say is impossible), or there is a bug / corruption. In the first case, the only thing possible is recalling the correct password; in second case, I can’t do anything (I can only easily fix documents with slightly broken XML, not with broken encryption).