Creating Tables in Calc

Indeed, when an Excel Table is extended, Excel generates a new row, uses banding color for clarity, copies formulae present in the existing row, moves cell focus to the new row and 1st column, etc… It is a real time saver.

But, there is another significant advantage to Excel Tables not yet mentioned here: Associated Charts Are Extended Automatically

1. Assume you are in Excel and you’ve created a Table with 1 row of headers and 5 rows of data/formulae/etc…
  2. Assume you’ve created a Chart (e.g. line graph) that includes all 6 rows (header + data).
  3. When you extend the Excel Table, Excel creates and inserts a new empty row automatically. When you the user enter the data/formulae/etc… the row is now complete. The associated Chart automatically adds that new complete row into the Chart. This is incredibly helpful and saves time.

Use-Case: Financial Data Entry

• Your row might include a date, a cost basis, a current market value.
  • You have 5 months of data, from January 1, 2020 to May 1, 2020. Your Chart has 5 data points.
  • When you extend the Excel Table and add a 6th set of data, your Chart automatically extends to include the 6th set of data (e.g. June 1, 2020). Normally, you would have to edit the chart and the chart’s data ranges. That takes time and multiple clicks.

In summary, I would be happy to see LibreOffice add Excel Tables as a feature.

1 Like

Thanks for the new information. But since it doesn’t answer the question, please re-post it as a comment.
To do that, hover on “more” (just above these comments), and press “repost as comment under question”. Thanks.

I cant understand why something like this has not been implemented yet.

1 Like

LibreOffice has a database component which is by far more powerful than any fake tables on a calculator’s grid.

Base does not replicate the functions of Excel Tables for the average user.

Tables allow me to define a dynamic range, sort, filter, and have all of the functions of a spreadsheet at my fingertips without having to learn how to write SQL queries.

Base, when I can get it to work at all, is overkill for the tasks I would use an Excel Table for.

1 Like

To be done once:
File>New>Database…
Type: Spreadsheet
Specify the spreadsheet and check “register database”
Save the database document. Nothing has been converted or imported. All data are still in the spreadsheet.
Call the query designer or query wizard to create meaningful queries from the spreadsheet tables.
Save the database, close the database, forget the database.

To be done whenever you need sorted and/or filtered data in Calc or in Writer
Hit Ctrl+Shift+F4 for the data source window.
Drag a query or table icon from the left pane into the document.

1 Like