Custom Character Style in Template

I want to make a custom character style available for all documents. I’ve tried creating the custom Character style in a template but it’s not there when I create a new document with the template.

Is there another way to do it?

Do you really mean an .ott (Writer template) document? Not an ordinary .odt document you use as initial contents.

An .ott template can contain any style category: paragraph, character, page, frame, list and make it available to templated documents.

When you write “but it’s not there”, do you mean it is not listed in the side style pane, character style list? Or is the character style ineffective? In the latter case, make sure that no conflicting direct formatting is in effect where you apply the character style.

If you’re saving your documents .doc(x), be aware there are no character styles in M$ format. Consequently, it is absolutely normal that you don’t find your character style which has been wiped out during the save operation.

PS: when asking here, always mention OS name, LO version and save format.

Thank you, @ajlittoz .
Thanks to your response, I re-examined what I was doing and found the template file I thought I was using was not the one I’d added a style to.
How embarrassing for me. I think I have trouble saving new templates and making them default templates. That’s for me to solve.

–Greg