Disable Calc automatically selecting a cell when clicking out of another cell

How do I disable Calc selecting a cell reference, after clicking into a cell with a formula and then clicking out? I just want to get out of edit mode, not add the new cell reference to the current cell with the formula.
E.g.
A1 has a formula in it. I double click in A1 to see which cells are being referenced (easy to see). I then click any other cell (e.g. B4), however now Calc has added B4 to the formula in A1.
I just need it to select B4.

Just press Esc key.
Or click in the green check mark at the left of the input line.
imagen

EDIT: If no changes were made to the cell, both Cancel (the multiplication like x red sign) and Accept (the green check mark) would do the same: exit edit mode.

2 Likes

Thanks LeroyG, however on large spreadsheets that’s a lot of extra clicks and needs two hands. I understand some may like this feature but I just want to click outside the selected cell.

Actually, to hit the top left button Esc, you need one hand …

Okay, I’ll offer other options:

• select a cell with one click and read the formula not in the cell, but in the formula bar - in this case, clicking on another cell will not change anything.

• before examining the sheet, set the protection - this will give the result you expect

1 Like

Thanks JohnSUN. Unfortunately it seems the short answer to my questions is no.

You can write a macro to simulate the pressing of the Escape key. Then you can assign that macro to a custom toolbar/menu entry. The new main menu item “Virtual_Keys” contains two new items: MyEscape and MyReturn. And the macros are assigned to the Standard Toolbar too (without usage any Icons)

Here is a sample file what contains tha macro and the assignation of the macro (it works in this document only). Result: you will able to exit the cell edit mode by one (or two) mouse click - “without your another hand”.

MyEscape.ods (15.1 KB)

Sources and additional informations:
https://api.libreoffice.org/docs/idl/ref/awt_2Key_8idl.html

There is no need to duplicate buttons. You already have them (Cancel and Accept) to the left of the input line. See the screenshot in my comment.

2 Likes

Oooops! They are colorized, but I never noticed and I never used them… The Enter key and the Esc key is more comfortable for me.

2 Likes