Do we need downvoting for L3+?

I notice that there’s no downvoting here. Do we need it? (I suppose we do.)

• We need to be able to downvote
  • We do not need downvoting here

0 voters

Can it be enabled here?

Not at the moment, see Migration from AskBot .

[Unmarked the solution] Sorry didn’t mean to cut the discussion — dunno if upstream has plans to implement that but if there is enough interest TDF might be convinced to sponsor the feature :slight_smile:

IMO you should leave that kind of thing to moderators. There’s an option to mark a post for moderation, I believe. If you really feel that a post is so bad that you want to downvote it, click that report button. Upvoting and downvoting are great things in themselves if and only if all users of the platform use them. Fact is that the majority of casual users (the ones who ask the questions) don’t mark questions as solved or upvote helpful answers, but there are people who seem to make a living out of downvoting.

There’s an option to mark a post for moderation, I believe. If you really feel that a post is so bad that you want to downvote it, click that report button

These are absolutely unrelated. “Flagging” marks a post as inappropriate. “Downvoting” means the answer is bad/wrong: e.g., it may even work to an extent, there’s some good reason to not follow that answer. They are really important differences, and I believe that downvoting requires not moderation skills/permissions, but understanding of the discussed topic.

there are people who seem to make a living out of downvoting

… which is why downvoting would need an advanced trust level.

1 Like

I mean that I trust a moderator to do it, largely because some time may pass between reporting the post and the moderator’s arrival to do something about it. In the meantime, the OP may improve it (like: add essential information, clarify the question). There’s no point in discouraging people from posting by downvoting their attempts to post a good question.

This isn’t about downvoting questions but downvoting bad/wrong/dangerous answers instead. That’s not moderators’ job and as Mike said it requires understanding of the discussed topic and a wrongly proposed solution.