Documentation of keywords and hyperlinked concordance

I find it frustrating as a casual user that has not taken the time to read ALL of the documentation books when I find references that are unclear. The following is an example of a general problem. In looking at LibreOffice 6.1 Help:

Inserting External Data in Table (WebQuery)

https://help.libreoffice.org/6.1/en-US/text/scalc/guide/webquery.html?DbPAR=CALC#bm_id3154346

I see the text:

Inserting by Navigator

Open two documents: the LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet in which the external data is to be inserted (target document) and the document from which the external data derives (source document).

In the target document open the Navigator.

Now the challenge is, “Where is the Navigator?”

Yes I did a further search to get:

https://help.libreoffice.org/6.4/en-US/text/scalc/01/02110000.html?DbPAR=CALC
Which explained that Navigator is a submenu of View. It would be nice if all of the menu/submenu keywords contained hyperlinks to the section(s) of the document(s) that explain those menu items. As noted by my question, there was nothing distinctive in the text that indicated that “Navigator” is accessed by “View->Navigator” or a hyperlink to the above manual section. A strong concordance feature of keywords across all documents would be a HUGE benefit while learning LibreOffice.
Even if I had sat down and read all of the LibreOffice books, it would be unlikely that I would keep all of that information in my head so that hyperlinked concordance/keywords would be a big help.

Do you volunteer your help in fixing such issues? It is easy. But - as usual with the open source projects - it is done by volunteers - the people who needs that are the best type of volunteers.

I am not sufficiently familiar with LibreOffice to know where to start to generate such a list of keywords for menu. Then there is the challenge of trading all of the docs for identifying items that are keywords but not menu items. One example that comes to mind was when I ran across the phrase “press the return” key although for over 20 years, Qwerty keyboards like Logitech bear the legend “Enter” rather than “Return.” Apparently written by someone older than my 70 years that used an electric typewriter.

Last, but not least, the task of learning to create a fork of the document tree, adding the hyperlinks/index entries and then re-merging the fork with moving updates on a release path.

No one would start with a list. You see one place, you fix it. The documentation becomes a bit better, instead of infinite wait for an infinite perfection.

And indeed, if you checked the link, you wouldn’t talk about forks.

where’s the documentation in gerrit ? :thinking:

looked up for Inserting by Navigator with no luck. (nor through opengrok)

Interesting. Again, reading the guide from the link, I see:

if you want change Help, then type “help” instead “core” and click to “help”.

And omg, why post links how to do stuff in WebUI, if no one is going to read. No cloning, but people find reading hard.

actually, I was expecting something a bit more user friendly than a git clone to start with …

stay tuned :wink:

Are you a troll?

to be honnest, I agree it’s a bit abrupt …

but insisting, with some help of @mikekaganski, after 20 mins here we are :
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/help/+/164377

any reviewer ?

Didn’t you forget to press Start Review? When it’s a WIP, people won’t review.

hum. I understood it would require some reviewers …
ok, left blank.
This change is ready for review.

also for reference :