Does Writer v4.2 produce larger file sizes?

Did something change with file sizing in Writer 4.2?

Example: I edited (added a few lines) to an .odt file with a size of around 35KB…when I saved it and re-opened it, the size had jumped to almost 90 KB?

What the heck happened?

You provide few details as to what your document contains in the way of content (for others to test) so please edit your question to include this detail if possible. Also, please be aware that files of small size (bytes) will always provide a skewed percentage change due to basic overheads.

LO v4.2.0 is a massive release (the largest so far). It contains many improvements and will likely create larger files as it is probably writing out a greater amount of XML. I will look into this in greater detail and update this answer. For now, my answer here, while mainly comparing ODF to DOC/DOCX, touches on possible causes for increases in ODF files (containing text-only content) across versions.

Here is a table of results for file sizes as produced by different versions of LO, for a large text-only file (available in the linked thread) and the Writer Guide v3.3:

files sizes compared across LO versions

While there appears to have been an increase in file sizes under v4.2.0, for text-only files this merely represents a return to file sizes produced under v4.0.x. For complex files, the increase is marginally greater.

Oweng,

The files in question are simply text-only files. (Short stories).

Solution: In the properties of document, uncheck embedding fonts. It solved my problem.