Draw Page Properties unit reset to inches in V 24.8. Remedy?

Alright, this is driving me mad. I have set my units to millimeters. Every time I open a new document. It shows all units in inches, even though the unit in settings says millimeters. However, if I change the unit to anything else and then back to millimeters, it starts working, until I start a new document.

This is my version information:

Version: 24.8.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 0bdf1299c94fe897b119f97f3c613e9dca6be583
CPU threads: 16; OS: Linux 6.8; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: de-DE (en_GB.UTF-8); UI: en-GB
Flatpak
Calc: threaded

How do I fix it?

How do you open a new document?

I think to remember a question on this site about a similar issue. If my memory is correct, “millimeters” are somewhat badly managed. Try to change the unit to “centimeters”.

I know this sounds silly since millimeters are simply 1/10 of a centimeter but in such huge complex software as LO, don’t be surprised by “silly” bugs.

@robleyd simply choose LibreOffice Draw from my list of applications to open a new document.
@ajlittoz I checked, it happens with centimeters as well. I knew it was not specific to millimeters. It is just that this version of LO (recently installed the flatpak version on Linux, I do not recall ever having this issue on Windows (back a year or two ago).
Also, how does this have anything to do with managing? Once you go to settings, change the unit to something else and then back to millimeters, it works. It is LO needs to actually check that units are shown in millimeters without doing this repetitive process every time.

Draw is the clue. There is a related bug with Draw in V24.8.
It will surely be fixed soon.

See Libreoffice draw 24.8 defaults to showing page properties in inches

Two unsolicited remarks:

1. You chose the main tag badly: Chosen: common; Correct: draw.
  2. Your subject line contains words that can’t be assumed to be helpfulö in a search by other users. Better: “Draw Page Properties unit reset to inches in V 24.8. Remedy?”
1 Like

tdf#162664

1 Like

Thank you. I wanted to choose LibreOffice draw, however, before posting this I tried it with impress and met a similar result. Now, I opened a new Impress file and for some reason it did show it in millimeters. I will change the title as well.

Draw and Impress internally are one module (sd), they differ very little. Basically they are the same.

I actually noticed that, except the slideshow feature (and maybe animations) they seem to be one and the same. It would be great though if their table features acted like as it did in writer (customizing size, etc.)

Tables in Draw / Impress are a mess, imo. And tables in Writer are very different conceptually.
There was this faintly related thread recently.
The suggestion I posted there (post #5) may be of interest for you. I made a new example showing also the use of a Writer document as an OLE object:
disask110803OleTablesInDrawings.odg (108.8 KB)

BTW: Feature requests go to https:/bugs.documentfoundation.org just like bug reports. (However, I wouldn’t expect your suggestion to be implemented.)

1 Like