Erratic page numbering

I assembled a novel from separately written chapters into one large document. When creating a header that included page number, the page numbers would reset to page one at random pages. How to fix? Something to do with inadvertent section breaks inserted? If so, how to find and delete those? Thanks.

It depends on the fact: how you use the Page Styles, Sections; and which file type are you using… (ODF, OOXML, or binary MS fileformat?)

Can you upload a small sample file here?

1 Like

I fixed it. Went through it, page by page, and deleted all page breaks (and I guess section breaks). Then the header contents appeared on each page. Thanks for your response.

This may indicate that your document is a DOCX. This format tends to create one page style per page, resulting in pages being independent from each other. In other words, you must set header and footer separately on each page. Word and Writer differ most in their handling of page layout.

1 Like

… in which case the flaw may return. If the source was docx but you resaved as odf before eliminating the “offending” breaks, you are most likely “in the clear”.

If you save as ooxml (Microsoft Word, DOCX) or you have live links to ooxml subdocuments, any editing of page setup is likely to reintroduce the problem.

If you are done editing, there is no need to convert to other file formats, but if this is a work in progress, you should consider resaving all components to open document format, and alter source links in your master document accordingly.