files save as excel/word files, now cannot be opened in LibreOffice. Says they don't exist, altho they are still showing in my recent files. Why???

Same problem as stated below - I cannot open my calc files now - says they don’t exist, altho the files still show up in my ‘recent’ files. I’m not doing anything differently. It does not happen every time I save something, but it happens often. I don’t want to re-enter all the info. Been there, done that…not a fun time.

Previous post/question:

I am in the process of moving files from OpenOffice to LibreOffice. I am saving my text documents as it comes up, as a .odt file, but when I try to open the files, they are coming up as MSWord documents and will not allow changes.

When I save a spreadsheet, it gives me an option as to how I want it saved. I don’t get that option when I save a text document.

What am I doing wrong?

I don’t want to re-enter all the info.

… but maybe, just maybe you want some help… and guess what, the info is needed to help.

Been there, done that…

Been where? done what?

What followed seemed like some other question (by someone else); how is it relevant to your question? which is its address - so that others could look there and see answers there, e.g. to understand what didn’t help you?

If your question is about “file doesn’t exist” message when trying to open from the list of recent files, it could be like in this question.

However, the part of your question after “I don’t want to re-enter all the info” and “Previous post/question” seems to be totally unrelated to the title and starting part of the question (it isn’t about “file doesn’t exist” error, and is unrelated to recent files list: it’s about some confusion with file formats and/or file associations) - you likely need to clarify your question.

Sorry I confused you. I’m saying that I’ve already had to re-enter info into a new calc spreadsheet once (been there, done that) and just really didn’t want to go through that again.

My files are being saved as Microsoft office documents and sometimes my libreoffice documents are showing that they no longer exist, even though they are still showing up in ‘recent files’. I can open the MS documents but cannot make changes to them.

My ‘previous post’ comment was referring to my previous question about word documents; 2nd question was referring to spreadsheet documents. I can find them in my files folder as .doc or .xls files but they cannot be edited. My libreoffice files are still showing up when I log onto libreoffice, but when I try to open them, I get a message that they no longer exist.

Same problem, different types of documents. So if I need to make corrections, I have to do a completely new document (re-enter all previous information & create a new document).

Is that clear?