Fill "A" column cells automatically with NOW() only when a value is added to a cell in column "B"

Hi, all!

I saw this video about Excel and I was wondering how can I achieve the same in Libre office Calc.

Thanks in advance!

(You won’t expect me to watch videos, would you? At least give some information about the used means - VBA? Some Formula? A built-in tool? )
You should probably study Create auto update process in Calc.

Download https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/download/file.php?id=43635 to a trusted directory and click the install button. This will install a Python module to your user profile. You find the module under MyMacros>pyCalc>NowToCalcCell
You want to set up macro “NowToColumnAByValidation”.
That macro is supposed to be triggered in a special way.
Highlight the cells that should trigger the macro.
Call Data>Valididity…
Allow: Text Length
Value: -1
On tab “Error Alert” choose "Macro and browse to MyMacros>pyCalc>NowToCalcCell
Since the condition of negative text lenght can not be fulfilled, every time you edit a cell the validation will trigger that macro. The validation macro gets all the address of the cell that is going to edited. It will accept your input and writes a timestamp into column A of the same row.

Not automatic, but Ctrl+; in some keyboard layouts insert the date.

This would insert a pseudo-date in one of the well known ambiguous formats. The questioner obviously wanted a date-time-stamp and I would add, it should be inserted in are reasonable format, that’s ISO 8601.
(Bold type added by editing later.
Also added a simplified solution by UserCode. Lots of open questions! Spreadsheets are expected to not work history aware.)
disask83673ApplyTimestampOnContentChanged.ods (24.5 KB)

It will follow the cell format. So you can format your cell as “YYYY-MM-DD”.

1 Like

And (on English keyboard) the sequence Ctrl+; followed by Shift+Ctrl+; (so to say Ctrl+: ) inserts date+time, also in reverse order. If an empty cell was pre-formatted with a date+time format like
YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.000
then the time key Shift+Ctrl+; on (not within while editing) the cell will insert a complete date+time stamp.

1 Like