First menu access is delayed - subsequent menu access is instant

For as long as I can remember (many versions) the first time I access the menu in any LibreOffice application there is a delay of perhaps 3-4 seconds before the menu appears. Subsequent menu access is instantaneous. Interestingly if I open the LibreOffice common shell (not Writer, Calc, Base, Impress, etc) the menu access is instantaneous also, it only seems to occur within one of the LO apps. Preloading (on Windows start) LibreOffice has no effect on this.

Not a huge deal as I now expect this behaviour and it only occurs once until you close and reopen LibreOffice again; but it would be an annoyance for anyone new to LibreOffice and is inconsistent with other applications.

Anyone else noticed this and/or know of a fix before I create a bug report?

Version: 24.8.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 0bdf1299c94fe897b119f97f3c613e9dca6be583
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 11 X86_64 (10.0 build 22631); UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: en-AU (en_AU); UI: en-GB
Calc: CL threaded

The same.

Version: 24.8.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 0bdf1299c94fe897b119f97f3c613e9dca6be583
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10 X86_64 (10.0 build 19045); UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); UI: de-DE

No repro.
Version: 24.8.1.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 87fa9aec1a63e70835390b81c40bb8993f1d4ff6
CPU threads: 24; OS: Windows 11 X86_64 (10.0 build 26100); UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: ru-RU (ru_RU); UI: en-US

@mikekaganski I wonder whether you don’t notice it because you have 24 CPU threads?

I doubt it. Our UI is handled in one thread.

That’s what I thought you’d say, but figured you’d know :+1:

Just had another thought, and added soffice.exe and all other LO exe’s to the Windows graphics options and set them to all use my dedicated GPU instead of integrated. Problem solved. Interesting though that I haven’t had this issue with any other application.

Any thoughts @mikekaganski (since you are closer to dev than most people here)?

Don’t know what to answer you. If that’s an initialization of some graphics, that should be done much earlier. My gut feeling would be that it’s the list of documents - but again, it has already shown in the start center. No idea, actually.

1 Like

Thanks @mikekaganski. Will file it as a bug.

Filed as bug: 162917 – First menu access after launching LibreOffice is delayed - subsequent menu access is instant

@mikekaganski not sure if you want to add anything?

1 Like

I can only suggest you to try to create a backtrace at the moment when it’s waiting - using How to get a backtrace with WinDbg - The Document Foundation Wiki . It sometimes allows to fix even problems that we can’t repro ourselves.

Thanks, will look into it :+1: