Font Color does not change

After clicking the Font Color tab and selecting red, the font cannot be changed back to black. No further selection has any effect. The document is stuck in red for all new text. (No existing text was selected).
It appears that when exiting the file without saving, reopening that file still shows the incorrect red color. It is not clear how this condition can be corrected. Fortunately in this case, the file was a copy of another created just to experiment, but these features do not seem functional.

Share your operating system and LibreOffice version. To do that, choose menu Help - About LibreOffice, copy from there, press edit below your question and paste.

Hi. I would suggest selecting your text and pressing Ctrl+M or Format > Clear Direct Formattingto clear direct formatting but I suspect there might be other direct formatting that you want to keep. The Writer Guide has a chapter on Styles that is worth reading.

I suspect this is your first time getting to grips with LO and maybe you want to use it with simple tools until you get to know the program better. (You might need to unlearn some things as you progress but it is not too hard)

Select your red text to the very end. The button/icon you selected has a small downward arrow next to it, from which you can select another colour, but better just to click at the top the box labelled Automatic. The font colour will revert to black and new text will also be black. Cheers, Al

Image of direct formatting font colour drop down box

Hello @glnc222, Please see LibreOffice Help on Changing the Color of Text.

Add Answer is reserved for solutions. If you think the answer is not satisfactory, add a comment below, or click edit (below your question) to add more information. Thanks.

I think it could be stuck because the file is locked from using TrackChanges. Will try another.

Turn off Track Changes by Edit > Track Changes > Record (if you haven’t already, If Record is highlighted then clicking it will turn it off).

To make your tracked changes text to normal click Edit > Track Changes > Accept All. Cheers, Al

Works good on a new file. Thanks for tips.