Form field that uses a drop-down from one table to populate a new record in another table.

I want to set up drop-down pick lists for the user to select, then have the information be entered into the main table. Example: A form field has a drop-down that lists ZIP codes. The user selects one and the ZIP code, City and State populate on the form (I am only using one state). When the record is saved, the values of ZIP, City & State populate in to a new record on the main table. I know, I should just link the tables with keys, but my client wants everything in one table and I am trying to make data entry easier for the end user. Thank you!

There isn’t going to be an easy way to complete your task. I can visualize three ways to accomplish your task.

The first is by possibly using a “filter” to grab the appropriate data into a temp record and then using this data for input into the final tables. A good deal of information and samples is in this post (click here)

Personally I would do this by coding macros, but that depends upon your background and knowledge. Macros are not easy require a steep learning curve. A sample (not exactly your specifications) is in my answer on this post (click here). This may make data entry easier but your job much harder.

The third way is the best way. Convince your client that all data doesn’t need to be in the same record. Maybe the easiest argument is the amount of extra effort (and cost?) to retain all data one record.

Thanks Ratslinger. That is what I thought. I am pretty good with macros so I may still try that, but first I will do as you suggest and explain the extra cost involved. That usually gets a client’s attention!