Formatting Box in LibreOffice Word

I am in the process of writing a screenplay using, Libeoffice. Not a template, just regular Libreoffice Word. My problem, is I can’t figure out which formatting style to use. I have it set to Default Paragraph style, but after I write and re-edit the dialogue in the document, it jumps to text body or text body indent, and adds periods like this…from the left margin, to the word. how do i get rid of these? i’ve tried and tried, and nothing works.

formatting style, default paragraph style
font, Courier 12 pt

i know in MS Word, the formatting style i used was regular.

so what do i use, and how do i get rid of the periods?

please advise

Click edit below your question and use the paper clip to upload a sample file (remove all sensible data before).

Text Body is the paragraph style you should be using. If you inspect the Heading styles, the next paragraph is all Text Body

Almost everything is derived from Default Paragraph so a change there will affect other styles so it is handy to have but not to use for writing.

I am curious as to why you would want to use Courier New, not for readability. If you want to type in Courier New, in the sidebar click on the Styles icon (big A), right-click on Text Body (or Default Paragraph for wider changes) and select Modify, change the font there and OK. When you change you mind do the same again but choose a different font, as long as you have used direct formatting (manually changed the font) all your text will change to the new font

To get rid of the annoying spaces and jumping you need to turn off (unhighlight) Edit > Direct Cursor Mode. It was included as a sop for those transitioning from Word but it goes completely against correct styling.