Greek Polytonic Characters missing from Capital Letters

I have installed version 7.2.3.2.
When i type 2 greek Capital letters with a space between them at the begining of a sentence or a paragraph and they have polytonic marks, the polytonic marks disappear! The spelling/grammar check is correct (from an add-on i have installed) but the marks are missing.

Any ideas?

Please check:

• Corrupted user profile
  • Graphics-related issues ( Skia )
  • Fonts issues

First steps to take before submitting a bug

Thank you.

Thank you for the info.
I have reset user profile and enforced skia.
Font does not seem to be an issue.
I think i have more information.
The problem appears only on documents created by microsoft word. If i write a document with libreoffice and save it as word 2007/365 type, all’s OK.

But at my opinion there is still an issue. I have a dosen files writen by microsoft word. What can i do?

Example to reproduce? Not everyone knows what polytonic marks would even be nor how to type them.

Example Text: “Ὁ Ἰησοῦς”. Please try to write with ms word. Then open with libreoffice. The Capitals “Ο” and “Ι” are… “naked”.

I’m sorry. It seems i was in a hurry to make an assuption that font is not an issue.
It seems that the problem is the font Calibri that MS Word uses. If i use “Liberation serif” the marks appear. But as far as i know Calibri IS a polytonic font

A note to consider. If there are two or more spaces between Capital Letters the polytonic Marks appear. If there is only one (which is the normal condition) they disappear (With Calibri font)

And you are using MS-Word and LibreOffice on the same machine? Because Calibri is a Microsoft font and not available everywhere.

Fwiw, the example you gave is
U+1F49 GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMICRON WITH DASIA
1 space
U+1F38 GREEK CAPITAL LETTER IOTA WITH PSILI

If I enter that in Writer it displays with every font I tried.

Anyhow, I don’t have Windows and no Calibri font to try.

Well, yes i use both. I need both at the same time for my work.
The example is right. It the one you described.
Try downloading calibri at Calibri
But you are right of course. It seems like a microsoft problem/glitch but we still need to report that to the libreoffice team.

It may be related to the order of entry if your polytonic marks are some kind of “combining diacritical marks”.
In Unicode, combining marks must be typed after the character they modify, even when they display left of the character (visually “before”). Then, depending on font, the group “base character+diacritics” may be replaced by a pre-composed glyph just like in @erAck 's examples.
If the sequence is typed as diacritics then base letter, the diacritics will apply to the previous character, here a space, and maybe such a diacritics is illegal on a space.

Well, when writting polytonic greek, the mark is typed before the letter even with Unicode characters. The textwriter application and the Oerating system take care of the rest.
Could you please reproduce the “problem/error” so that i know it is not my idea? Not only on my machine?

I can reproduce it but only with Calibri (v6.23) and Carlito (v1.103: Beta1) (Carlito is usual substitute for Calibri) fonts. All other fonts I tried, including Arial, Times New Roman, Verdana and some open source fonts act normally. It is beginning to look like a bug in those two fonts. I couldn’t find a later version of Calibri than 6.23, not even listed on Windows 11 MS site.

I suggest using Caladea font as a substitute for similarity but you might need to drop font size a little.

Tested Windows 10 20H2, LO v7.1.5.2 & LO v7.3.0.0alpha1, MS Office 2010

1 Like

Thank you very much. That’s all i need to know. I reported it as a bug to libreoffice. I hope it will be corrected if possible.

As I said, I think it is a bug in the fonts. Adobe Illustrator CS5 has the same problem.
Remember, this is Microsoft default font since 2007; it was probably easier for them to make undocumented changes in Office than to fix the font.
Anyway, MS won’t fix, they are looking for a new default font, see Beyond Calibri: Finding Microsoft's next default font - Microsoft 365 Blog

I understand that. With MS products like “word” the font works “normally”. I could also reproduce the problem with mozilla thundirbird. My concern is that people wiil know there is such a bug. It is easy for me to change the default font to Caladea for example. Until now i was annoyed because i thought it was my fault and that i did not know libreoffice writer well.

You can set up a font replacement table so it will display and print with a substitute font.
Click Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Fonts, tick the box Apply replacement table, under Font, select Calibri, in the next field choose a suitable replacement and click the green tick. Tick the Always replace box and OK out.

2 Likes

Referencing the bug number here would be welcomed. Just enter tdf#123456 (with the actual bug number of course) and it will be linked.

The bug number is tdf#145903. Let’s hope Microsoft will fix the font issue, though as it was mentioned earlier, this is not very possible.

2 Likes