Grey boxes all over document in Writer

They always expect us to go thru a huge document deleting all those annoying grey spaces. MS Word doesn’t do it, no other program I found does it. Why can’t LibreOffice not insert grey boxes all over a document?

Can you please show an example of what you are talking about or provide a sample document so others might better help you address the issue you are encountering?

This “question” is a follow on of Weird Gray Spaces Between Words - #9 by kristiambrose

Using semantically erroneous characters is always author’s fault.

I assume you mean the grey shading over U+00A0 NO-BREAK SPACE displayed as a visual clue. You always have the possibility to use Edit>Find & Replace to restore the correct space.

In case you don’t care for the semantic difference between both spaces, disabling View>Field Shadings will remove the visual clue. But this will also remove all other clues over fields, index entries, …

When posting here, always mention OS name, LO version and save format.

1 Like

Of course they can be deleted. Is there any option for LibreOffice NOT to fill a document with weird grey boxes whenever a text is copied from any source? Online, Word, any source: it inserts these grey boxes.

LibreOffice is not inserting the No-break spaces, they exist in the content you copied; LibreOffice merely displays them so you can tell that they aren’t normal spaces. Note that the grey shading is on the screen only and does not print nor export to pdf.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. This helps a bit. However is there any way to turn the display of them off? It makes reading the text difficult.

Of course, one can do a search & replace, but maybe a global fix function would be useful? I should suggest this to people who work with Libre programming. It’s very annoying to read with these grey spaces.

Yes, as below