Have you considered developing a "universal office file" protocol? UOF = a "file" whose tabs are set to a specific app: think of a working file that has a several calc, doc, ppt, a Visio tab, under the guise of one file.

@petermau, you are absolutely right regarding the standards used in Open Document Format and LibreOffice (rightly so) married to that format, as well as this is not the place for an effective “feature request”. And while I know this site is not a forum but a Q&A site…I have to admit it’s almost kinda nice having a question “from left field” like this every now and then. It beats answering for the Nth time, “Libra Office ate my PDF files” or “I can’t change the default font in Writer.” Just sayin’.

A little extra aside, as the subject of XML has come up.

Extensible Markup Language (XML) was initially a streamlined and simplified development of SGML.

Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML), an ISO-standard technology for defining generalized markup languages for documents, is descended from GML as was HTML

These all evolved from the original Generalized Markup Language (GML) that cleverly initiated the technique of separating the Content of the text from the Formatting. A bit like migrating from what the typist typed to dictating to a secretary.

GML was created in the early 1970s by Charles Goldfarb, Edward Mosher and Raymond Lorie (whose surname initials were used by Goldfarb to make up the term GML). So I am saddened that HTML and XML have lost the G. I think of XML and HTML as XGML and HTGML with a silent G.

I was introduced to GML in the 1970s on a wet Friday afternoon in North West London with
a mesmerised European audience, and have been using it ever since.

Thanks for that interesting information! Now I know down which “rabbit hole” to go today!