Heading Numbering & TOC doesn't work

LO 24,2,5,2 (x86-64)
Win11 Pro 22H22

I just downloaded a goggle docs document. None of the heading numbers appear and I can’t create a TOC. On google docs, I had to insert my own heading numbers, which was preserved on download, but automatic assignment of heading number is missing.

When I create a new text document, everything works as expected. Tools → Heading numbering does what it’s supposed to do, and the headings have heading numbers.

I’ve looked at the heading style sheets, but I must be missing something. Anyone know how to download from google docs and preserve the ability to have LO assign heading numbers?

AFAIK Google Docs don’t export to odt well. You could try to export as docx and open the docx from Writer although that can bring other issues.

Unless the heading styles are Heading 1, Heading 2, etc., or renamed to those, then you will need to add the Heading styles to the TOC. Right click the TOC and select Edit index, in the dialogue, select Additonal styles then press the button Assign styles. Set the headings to the relevant levels.

You would also need to alter Heading Numbering to include the new heading styles in the Numbering tab, in Paragraph style

Hey Thanks. Still have issues:
(right click) → TOC → Edit Index has no Additional Styles. What it has is Type, Entries, Styles, Columns, Background. Styles → has Assignment, Levels, Paragraph Styles. Doing, for example, Heading 1 → Edit gets me right back to editing a style. So I’ve just went around in a circle. So, what version of LO are you using or is there something missing from my execution of your directions?

As to assigning headings, I changed the style to Heading x before I tried to TOC it. I think that somehow Google Doc Download disabled the ability to create a TOC. But, in the near or remote future I’ll follow your other suggestion and download a docx file and see what problems pop-up.

There is a general question. The odt format is supposed to be standardized (?) I think. If it is then is Google Doc violating the standard in some way?

I didn’t give the path steps because it is shown in the image, the tab is Type.
I don’t think the version matters, they all have it as far back as I remember.

Find and Replace Styles?

Maybe, try copy everything and pasting to a new empty Writer document.

Copying worked, thanks. Things brings up the question of what is the difference between copying a Google Doc file and downloading it as a odt file. Why should the behavior be different?

That’s a question for Google.

ISO 26300, see OpenDocument - Wikipedia