How can I re-assign the default application for Writer documents to be Microsoft Word?

I recently managed to download LO onto one of my computers, failed to install on another (the “Exit LibreOffice” during installation message) but think I have found a solution suggested for that already.

My query is: all documents on the computer with LO now appear as LO documents by icon, and automatically open in LO by default. I would prefer to keep my MS Word docs in their original format as they open much faster than in LO and I am more familiar with MS Office.

How can I set this up and get the MS docs back to how they were? Also, and I apologize if this is a stupid question, but am I correct in assuming that LO is cloud based and therefore only usable as long as there is an Internet connection? That would be another reason for my wishing to keep my current saved documents in the form of Word, so I could access them when I might have a connection problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or answers.

Someone also asked the opposite question here:

LO is not cloud based, and works fine without an internet connection, just like you are used to with MS Word.

One way to get MS Word to open your doc files is to right click one file, select “Open with” (or similar) and change from LibreOffice Writer to MS Word. Remember to check “Always do this”.

That being said, I think my documents and important information is much safer stored in the LibreOffice format than MS format.

Pedro, you beat me :slight_smile:

LibreOffice is installed in your PC, it is not cloud based.

To associate your files back with the MS programs, right click on a document (e.g. xls) select Open With and then Choose Program, click on Excel, tick the “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” box. Repeat for each file type.

Thank you kindly for the information. Simple enough when explained, but greatly appreciated.