How can I use Replace All to change the font size of a selected term in a document?

It half-worked worked…unfortunately in the process a lot of the formatting for those characters glitched out in the following type of way (See attached; the bottom line is what it was, and the top line what it turns into). As you can see, half of each character (the main syllable) has been replaced with 11 pt font size, while the other half (the extra diacritics) haven’t been changed, making a big mess. If you replace it manually, it changes the whole thing, but not doing it with the Replace All function.
sample2.odt (10.2 KB)

General remark: this no solution to your problem and should not have been posted an an “answer”. Doing so confuses users and may prevent the occurrence of a true answer.

I have no idea about which exact regular expression you applied to your text, so just guessing about a possible cause. It is possible that the font size was applied only on the base character while the combining diacritical marks kept their original size. You end up with a weird composite character where components have not the same font size. It is then possible that the font renderer gets completely confused and considers you have a bare base character followed by orphan (= no base character) diacritical marks, which is an invalid Unicode sequence.

After having analysed the codepoint sequence (with Alt+X) and having found nothing suspicious, apart the discrpancy in size, I reconstructed the first line with Alt+X and it ended up identical to second line.

I had a deeper look at your sample. It is plagued with direct formatting. I can’t tell if you enabled Complex Text Layout in Tools>Options, Language Settings>Languages because it does not transfer reliably to other computers. But once enabled and direct formatting removed, the style machinery works as expected.

In this sample, you only use Default Paragraph Style. Consequently I went to the Font tab. With CTL enabled, you can make a difference between Western scripts and Hindi text. I set Hindi text at 6pt, 18 pt or 24pt and immediately on OK all the document is updated.

I highly recommend you follow a strict styling policy. Direct formatting is not at all your friend and has never been. The more complex your document, the more rigorous you must be. Mixing Western and Asian text is a complex task.

I inadvertently clicked “suggest an answer” obviously it wasnt the answer. This is the first time ever on this site and There doesnt seem to be a way for deleting accidental posts. Is there such a function? If so I would have deleted the post that accidentally ended up as “Answer”. As you can see, I have no found the solution, it was exactly as explained and instructed by the kind people above.

Thanks for your comments about the difference between styling and direct formatting I’ll bear that in mind for next time. I wasn’t even really aware there is a difference, being a rank amateur with technical things in general.

You can turn a comment into an answer, clicking first on the ellipsis icon (…) under a comment then on the tool icon to reveal Move to answers. Unfortunately there is no reverse command to turn an answer into a comment. This must be done by copying manually to a comment and deleting the non-answer afterwards. I don’t know what happens to comments on non-answer when you delete it.

Then you might find This is the Guide… to be a useful resource.