How do I delete a Base Report?

I maintain a database for which I have defined several reports. I execute these reports, which generates the report as a Writer document.

After I review the report, I no longer need it. How can I delete it, so that the next time I launch LO it will not appear in the initial window that opens?

Thanks!

Hi,

Not sure about Mac or Linux however on Windows you could create a little batch file to either delete all files with the same extension in the same report folder or any individual file and then run this batch file automatically by placing it on the windows task scheduler.

e.g. create a plain text file with notepad like

echo off - new line
C: - new line
cd\ - new line
cd\myreps - new line
del *.odt - new line
pause - new line
exit

then save it as delOldReps.bat and you can run it either manually by double clicking it or via task scheduler at a specific time like a daily cleanup.

@Ratslinger, Happy New Year to you ! Now how would one clean up the LO recent file list via a macro ?

@gkick,

Thank You and Happy New Year to you also!

Seems the macro info I recall was from an extension. Will see if I can find. Here is a post to read the items → export of recently used files list ?.

Also will mention, your resolution may not get rid of the icons that appear in that screen. Thought this was two separate items - not completely sure though.

Edit:

Think this is the extension I was recalling → See History Master

@Ratslinger, thank you

Hello,

Do not believe this is available. You can eliminate all items from the recent files list but see no way to remove a specific item. My be able to do something with a macro but seems to me this is two different parts - recent list & icon.

See tdf#74834

@BillLibre,

Now in the question you stated:

How can I delete it, so that the next time I launch LO it will not appear in the initial window that opens?

When a Base report is generated & you close without saving there is nothing to delete. The document no longer exists when LO is closed. It is a temporary file. The recent file list and icon on LO Start Center does contain the item. If selected you get a message saying item does not exist.

@BillLibre,

Now if you are speaking of the ‘design’ of the report (listed in the Report section of main Base screen) this is an entirely different and most unusual request. If this is the case, it is certainly not clear in your questions. Please clarify.

Edit:

It this actually is what is wanted, just right mouse click the report name when Report section is visible, and select Delete. Then confirm the deletion.

@BillLibre

Guessing the last edit is addressing what you actually want to achieve (removing the actual report definition) from the database objects container.

@Ratslinger

To clear and keep the history clean I found this

Tested on Win10 LO 6.4.7 - works (UNO)

@gkick,

The process in your history link is already noted in the bug report posted in my answer. It does not accommodate for individual files.

My question is not about the “Recent Files” list, or about deleting all files with the same extension. Rather, the question is this:

When I execute a Report, the report displays in a read-only Writer document. Once I have read the report, I no longer need that document. I’d like to delete it immediately. Is there a way to delete the generated report after I read it?

Thanks!

@BillLibre,

Please do not use an Answer unless it actually is to answer the original question. Instead use add a comment below where you are responding to or edit your original question.

Now in the question you stated:

How can I delete it, so that the next time I launch LO it will not appear in the initial window that opens?

When a Base report is generated & you close without saving there is nothing to delete. The document no longer exists when LO is closed. It is a temporary file. The recent file list and icon on LO Start Center does contain the item. If selected you get a message saying item does not exist.

Contrary to @Ratslinger’s previous reply, I have found that the temporary Base report file is, in fact, saved on my iMac in a hidden folder path similar to this:

/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/LibreOffice/4/user/temp/lu87681ce1ryv.tmp/

Within that folder, the file has a name similar to lu87681ce1rz0.tmp.

Today I discovered that my LibreOffice “user/temp/” folder contains more than 30 of these so-called temporary files, dating back to November 2017.

Each time I launch LibreOffice, it displays in an untitled startup window my Base database, several Calc spreadsheets, and all of the temporary reports that I created during my earlier LO sessions. I delete these reports there, but apparently I missed some in 2017, 2018, and 2019.

I suggest that LO should immediately delete each Base report file when the user closes it, since the report file cannot be opened again at a later time.

To my recollection this has not been occurring on my systems - LO since version 4.3.x on various Linux systems. All temp files deleted when LO is completely closed. Just went back & reviewed directories on multiple retired OS’s and these files did not exist. Have minimally created hundreds of reports.

If you continue to have this problem report here → Bugzilla Possibly some setting I am not aware of.

Edit:

This may also be of interest → Re: [libreoffice-users] Can I discard temp/.tmp directories